Panic Over Brexit

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I find the stock market panic over Brexit interesting. I bought a high dividend stock just a couple of months ago for $13.00, which I thought was a good price. It has stayed above that price until the Brexit panic brought it down to a low so far of $12.00. I bought more yesterday. I hope I'm right. I think this panic will be short lived and things will go back to normal soon.
    Until the EU came into existence 40 years ago the English managed to do very well without it.

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I think you're right, @Sheldon Scott ... I think it will adjust soon. Plus I hear that a number of other major countries are considering a vote on doing the same, so when it's the norm instead of a scare, things could get a lot better than they were before it all started.

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Before the EU, England made many excellent products. True story. Some time back I wanted a Webley air pistol. I wanted a particular model. Then, I find that this model, and most others, were no longer made in England, but in Turkey.
    Well, I got my English made Webley, but had to go on the Gunbroker site and buy a used one.
    It'll take time to get back, but if the English can hold on, they'll make it.

Sheldon Scott and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ike ! :D Could you come over here and give a speech to the doubters :p
    We were bound to see hiccups after Brexit, we just need to calm down
    We have had many financial problems since being in the EU - once it is all finalised, we can again call the shots and move on
    independently

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It is going to take awhile for things to calm down no doubt, but the problems are not going to last for years, as some people may want to believe.
    There will be an adjustment period, and once everything is adjusted, it should be OK again. I hope that the British people will continue to prosper despite this glitch in politics. I hope so anyway, for your sake Patsy Faye. This is very important to all of us.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I get the impression that people in Britain are like Filipinos. We have a saying here that in any election, there is no loser, just the winner and the cheated. That is because we have a penchant for protesting the results, not accepting the election results is getting to be a tradition. In the recent election last month, the losing vice president, son of former president Marcos, had filed a protest against the winning vice president for cheating. It's unimaginable because of the computerized elections that is so difficult to manipulate.

Anyway, with BREXIT, there is a motion by some groups of young Britons to conduct another referendum. What? Yeah, the proponents of the losing motion to stay with EU seem not content with the result so they want another try, hoping that their motion will win.

I think, the situation will stabilize in a few months, Britain has a good economy and it can surely sustain it by itself. With businesses, there is some shock now but wiser heads would prevail and just get back to the usual business.