Painting Job On The Exterior

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Corie Henson, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The other weekend when I went to my sister's, I saw their house is being repainted on the exterior. She said that the work is on a contract basis so she wouldn't care about the daily wage and also the food is not included in the arrangement. Now this makes me think because the exterior of our house is still the same when we acquired this in 2001. The color is plain white. How about putting in some colors?

Talking to my husband about it, the problems cropped up - trustworthy worker, tools like scaffolding, cost, etc. I understand that it is so difficult to find a trustworthy worker, that means someone who knows the job and who would do the job properly. With the tools, we probably need to rent or maybe get some bamboo poles from the nearby bamboo grove to save on costs. Welll, so many details to sort.

I will post an update on this.

Linda Binning likes this.
  2. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

We repainted our home in 2005..It was built in 1999 and they had sprayed on the paint and it started to "bleed" darker.
    Due to the heights, I had my youngest son do the high ladder work..
    04-08-05 011.jpg

Linda Binning and Corie Henson like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Registered

That's one of our apprehensions - the height. Our house is a split-level in design, meaning the left part has 2 stories while the right part has 1 story only. The exterior ceiling of the second floor is so high that a scaffolding is required for a ladder just makes it inconvenient for the worker and risky too. Our main concern with that is the safety of the worker because if something happens then it would be our responsibility. We have heard of accidents at work so we are thinking very well on how to go over it, the safety concerns.

4. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

We've gone through the house painting thing on a couple of our homes. We've been in this home 16 years and had it repainted about 5 years ago. I've been in the engineering/construction industry for 40+ years so have a skewed mind when it comes to doing specific work around the home. I am NOT a painter and would not do that work myself. I also understand the risks involved so would NEVER hire a "worker" to do it. We would be exposed to lawsuits if the worker fell or incurred injury while on our property. So...

I would only use a painting contractor who could show me a certificate of insurance. That way I know he and his workers are covered by HIS insurance and we would not have that exposure. Knowing he was properly insured would also give me some confidence that he is a professional and would do quality work. Most small businesses cannot survive with negative references.

Using a bona fide contractor would cost more initially. Having to pay to redo a job not done well or hire a lawyer when someone is injured would cost significantly more.

Von Jones and Linda Binning like this.
  5. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

What color would you like to have your house painted Corie? Mine is pale green with a white trim. I would like to paint it more of a darker silver/grayish green.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Registered

You made me excited with your comment, hahahaaah. I actually had wanted blue for the walls. However, the gate is already blue and the grills in the terrace are all blue so blue is out of the scene. Pink is not a good choice because our house will look feminine. So I am thinking of a beige color or light yellow. But this is not an official declaration yet, I still have to discuss this with my husband. Here is the photo of our house from the road. You may have suggestions for the color on the exterior - IMG_6089 home.JPG

7. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Your place is pretty right now Corie. It reminds me of a lot of the vacation places in FL where we stayed for 5 months several years ago. I love that look. I've seen them with the pink trim but I wouldn't do that myself. The place we stayed was all white and then they had bright red umbrellas around the pool and lots of pretty flowers for color. Be sure and take a picture after you make up your mind and the painting is done. :)

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Registered

I was talking with my sister yesterday while on the way home - she picked us up from the airport after our trip to Singappore. She showed me the photos of their house with the new paint. It looked good and the more I am encouraged to pursue my plan of repainting the exterior of our house. However, my husband reasoned that we can only do that if we are lucky enough to get a good house painter. Unfortunately, that one who did the job on my sister's house live far from our place and it's not practical to hire him.

We also have a big umbrella that we sometimes place in the front yard when we have guests. And a portable swimming pool is great for the kids, we also have one although we seldom use it due to the difficulty of cleaning up after.