Painting Job And House Repairs

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Corie Henson, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last month we discovered that our roof was rusty, about 40% are showing clear signs of rust. Somewhat in panic, we looked for workers who can do the job.

First try - the worker wanted a job contract for 7,000 and that's for labor only. Second try - the worker wanted a wage of 1,000 for the estimated 4 days of work. Gee, that looks more expensive than the first one. Third try - the worker agreed to the offer of 500 per day. However, he doesn't seem to know what should be done.

At the end of the day, having house repair work or any work regarding improvement of the house would give you a headache with the workers. Over here, we do not have standards. Anyone can be a carpenter or a mason simply because he claims to be one. That is why it is difficult to find good workers particularly if you don't know anything about the job. So before you set out in looking for workers, make a research about the work.

Von Jones and Jennifer Graves like this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with you how are you suppose to know if the job was done correctly if you do not know the process just the out come. I have been trying to do some work online that I am suppose to sell to small business owners. All the so call gurus say don't worry about not being able to do it yourself just hire some one who does no how to do it and get the money and the job done. I am not comfortable with that thought, how would I know the person I hired was good and they did a good job if I don't know what the process is. When I worked in the office setting I trained people to creat worksheets on Excel, it was because I was very good doing that myself.

Good luck with your repair job.

3. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Thats why I'm so lucky to have had my dad and my husband. They both know a little bit about all that stuff. They are both perfect examples of a "Jack of all trades, master of none". I have never had to buy a car, or do any kind of home improvements or repairs, or even take my car to the shop without having someone who could give me a general idea of what needs to be done. If i run into anything they don't know, like wiring the house for electricity, i get online and research it myself. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often!

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss my dad for those repairing jobs at home, but having no hubby or partner to lend a helping hand, I'm thankful because my father taught me the basics to fix a hole in the wall, unclog the drain, or paint walls and roofs, this latter truly exhausting, but rewarding, when I did all the painting-repairing job of my bedroom at my parents' home.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've done a lot of house repairs with help from YouTube and other DIY sites but there are some repairs that definitely require a professional. We are trying to decide whether to paint or get siding on the upper story of our house. I've been seeing advertisements for Home Advisor.com which is suppose to be free. I checked out reviews and was disappointed in what I read so it's back to getting estimates on both. Although I think I'm leaning for siding because of the insulation aspect.

6. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I've done my share. I replaced all the pipes underneath the kitchen sink at my ex's mom's house. replace a ceiling fan, and other pretty basic stuff. But for anything major, that looks overwhelming I'll call a professional

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When we bought a new air conditioner last year, we had contracted an old man and his middle aged son for the job. The work was good, polished and refined, so we didn't complain about the charge - we paid for 2 hands but only the son seemed to have done the job and the old man was like an instructor, just telling his son what to do.

Some 2 months ago, we needed to repaint the roof. Please see my post above on the 7,000 contract price. That old man and his son was contracting the job for 7,000 which is exorbitant already. My husband declined the offer and said, when they had left, that only 1 person would be doing the paint job and the other would just be an instructor. Now we know that it is very important for the worker to be doing the work that he was hired for.

8. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I agree. If you are paying for 2 people to do the work, then that's exactly what you should get. One person will take twice as long, and probably not get as many small details done.

Corie Henson likes this.