Overweight Workers

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Kids use to play outside. Ride bikes, play ball, hide and seek...etc. Most are indoors witb head phones on playing games or listening to music...munching on whatever.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

True but they still do outside activity ....at least here.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Lot of truth in that - watch a lot of documentaries seeing kids stuck in their bedroom on computer

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My grandsons all play games on their PlayStations and or iPhones but yet they still have time to ride bikes, play sports, go to tae kwon do and karate.

Guess they manage their time well. :)

Seems I live on a different planet... @Babs Hunt ..what do you see with your grandkids? Do you see them having time for both??

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Some parents are slovenly Chrissy from what I see
    Some parents are protective to the extent the children are not allowed to go out and play
    A good balance is difficult to find in this climate now

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well my grandsons aren't allowed out unsupervised.

Except for the older two.

It seems that they don't sit and watch TV though like we did when little...instead that is the time they're on their devices.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually Frank in California you can be fired for anything at anytime. It's a fire at will state and employees have no recourse . Let me tell you, I've seen it happen. You would have to be in one of the "protected" classes to even have any hope of a case against your employer.

Also I don't think "fat is fine" to a lot of people. Even fat people.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

"" fire at wi;; state''...wow, Ive never heard of that...

As for exercise with the kids, I think it depends a lot as well on the climate whether they go outside a lot these days. It never bothered us when we were kids if it was raining or not but these days kids will only be prised away from their x boxes or equivalents if the weather is decent...so in So California it's gonna be ideal for kids to be out a lot , but in the UK...and lots of states in the USA where the weather is seasonal . then kids outside not so much.

Here where I live the kids seem to be out a lot, hardly see an overweight kid, and they're all out on their bikes , but just go to a town 20 miles away which is pretty run down... and so many of the kids and teens are severely overweight as are their parents . Rare for the kids to be playing out...but the teens all hanging around the town centre causing problems seem to be their answer to exercising.. ... :rolleyes:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

You live in a decent area Holly - parents probably feel safer there than elsewhere

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes very true Patsy

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think that may also be a reason I'm seeing fitter kids. My grandsons live in upper middle class neighborhoods.

They get to eat healthier food and pay for gyms and practices and golf lessons and wetsuits for surfing etc.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As for myself, I believe it to be a slight travesty to go to a doctor's office and see unhealthy looking people representing the doctor. For 1st timers, it certainly would not be a selling point and the reputation of the doctor would have to be pretty good in order to erase the first impression.
    One facility that we go to on occasion not only has unhealthy looking desk people but they look and act like they are angry at the world.

At best, going to a physician is definitely not a joy filled experience but it should be one that is at least encouraging. When we go there or to our Primary physician and I see a bunch of sad looking desk people and / or some near death looking patients, I deliberately start cutting up just to garner a couple of smiles whilst easing up my own angst.
    To say that I dislike going to a doctor's office would be a grand understatement and if all I can look forward to is a bunch of overweight and stale looking pencil pushers whilst sitting there way past my appointment time, I would rather take my malady elsewhere.

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Hear, Hear @Bobby Cole ..I totally and absolutely agree..it's one of my big bugbears..sullen receptionists.. ...oh and out of control kids in the waiting room...the last thing you need when you're at the Doctors' feeling like crap..

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fortunately (I think ?) , we go to the Center for Elder Care; so we don’t have to contend with unruly kids in the waiting room . Most of the people we see there are using walkers, and being pushed around by their “kids”.
    One thing about that........ it sure makes Bobby and I feel healthy !

15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is an issue that some if many will not get. What the workers look like have nothing to do with the ethics of their job performance. Yet an attractive person will be immediately thought of as a better worker. I can tell you about attractive thin people who: didn't pass their meds, faked blood sugars, didn't document falls, hid or didn't follow through on important labs (such as PT, INR for Coumadin) where people either didn't get the med or kept getting it when their blood was too thin, who didn't call the MD when someone had congestion and respiratory issues. Who cleaned up a lot of these messes? I did.

Believe me or don't. And keep believing what you believe.

I'd better add before someone asks. "why didn't YOU do something and report them" I could to infinity and no one in power over me would care for the most part (there was one incident that took time but that person was eventually terminated. My boss told me 'I shouldn't tell you this' but she did) As long as families don't know and as long as someone else cleaned it up the higher ups don't care. They like those people. They are good for the company. They don't do any overtime.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.