Overweight Workers

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This is not a put anyone down ..nor do I think anyone should be descriminated against.....
    But have always wondered people who work for doctors and are either very under weight..
    Or overweight....are they reprimanded or harrassed in anyway because of their weight ?
    At the cardiologists office today and after seeing that majority of the workers were more than a tad over weight, just brought this question once again in my head.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They're pretty average at my drs office. That includes nurses and receptionists and techs etc.

The nurse practitioner is an Amazon...very tall but not overweight. Very attractive actually.

On the other hand...at PT I would say most are heavier but in shape.

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I have noticed that too @Gloria Mitchell. Our doctor is in good shape but most of the others in his office are on the heavy side, to put it mildly.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

ooh that happens in the US too does it.

In our Doctors surgery ..everyone is slim and in good shape... but almost all the nurses at the hospital are overweight....by a lot... and I've always wondered how can that be?.. When my mother was a nurse there was no overweight nurses, they spent all day on their feet , ..but nowadays I see nurses particularly in the outpatient department.. ( not so much on the wards) ... just standing or sitting around physically doing very little tbh...and I have to admit I'm not surprised they're overweight, because they just seem to move so little ...but it does surprise me that the Doctors and consultants don't actually say something to them..after all how can Doctors and consultants preach about their patients' weight issues if their very own nurses are just as or more large.. ?

5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Not sure there is a good solution.Sure do not think anyone should lose their job because of weight issue.However a private practice of a dr is un heard of here in big cities. Most all are owned by another big business that pays the drs. and staff a salary...so maybe is reason for no restrictions.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby and I have discussed this as well, @Gloria Mitchell , and it seems like most of the doctor offices that we have been to, the assistants are definitely overweight. I think that they probably just do not get much chance to move around, at least the ones who work at the reception desk; but the nurses who are busy and moving around should be at least getting some exercise.
    Then, they make a little note on the records that we are overweight because we eat too much.......... that is like the pot calling the kettle black !
    Our Wellness Center (fitness center) is part of the Huntsville Hospital system, and the nurses, doctors, and their families get a large discount to use the facilities. We have three of the Wellness Center facilities, and one is very close to the hospital and clinics, so any of the people who work in health care can go there and exercise whenever they want to go.
    Some of the doctors do go, as well as some of the nurses; but obviously there are a lot of people working in doctor’s offices who do not take very good care of their own health.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW...let me get this right... are you saying you don't have a doctors surgery ( doctors' office) that's run by the doctors themselves?...who is the 'business' that pays the doctors a salary?...o_O

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I think a lot of it is just overweight people in general. I can't tell you how many times I've had patients and visitors comment on how much I move "how many miles do you walk in a day" and how fast I walk at work. Yet I think I'm slowing down. But then I go home and stress eat because I've been basically unhappy at work all day. No matter how hard I worked or tried. BTW, I did most of my charting on my feet today also.

I'm going to the gym to join tomorrow.

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    I suspect that given the political climate existing today, reprimand or other derision directed at any employee, regardless of the field of work, is subject to review by the (disgusting) lawyers. Apparently the medical workers have managed to "fit in" with the general trend of "fat is fine" in all walks of life.

Rivetting, isn't it?

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Excatly. There has been no private practice here in years. Drs and even dentists sell out to large companies that rule everything. Infact my own dr said he hates it because They only allow you 10 maybe 15 mintues with patient. They are expected to meet a quota each day. Such a friggen joke.I could rant about this forever.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Holly Saunders ...the other thing...are doctors who create their own network...they own the hospital or office and tbey make the decisions...but comes with a price.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My son and my SIL have their own dental practice.

My SIL has two but my daughter doesn't work in either one...she's an associate in another practice.

It's always worked better financially this way.

Same with my son and his wife...they own one practice and my son works in that one and my DIl is an associate in another one.

I think my dr has his own practice but I'm not sure.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

10 or 15 minutes per patient...you're spoiled?...No, really.. I'm only half joking... because here in the Uk...we have our GP practices which are run by the NHS but essentially private practices.. ...but we're allowed only 8 minutes Max with our doctor ..and only permitted to ask about one issue. That really causes many problems because in general we wait up to 3 weeks for an appointment, so if we have 2 things needing attention and they're not absolute emergencies, we can only ask about one...and wait 3 weeks still suffering to ask about the other, which is crazy because oftentimes if we could speak about both maladies they may be intertwined and would be treated differently.. , but we can't do it.. so we end up with meds for one...only to find by the time we get to see the doctor again, that the second issue is something which would have meant a completely different Diagnosis and course of treatment in the first place ..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I get a minimum of 15 minutes with my dr. But I always go over and she doesn't seem to mind

I always have the first appt of the day so maybe that's why...she's not backed up or behind schedule yet. :)

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Chrissy Cross ..my petiodontalist comitted suicide in 2012. I had been going to him 12 years and was devastated.
    Since that time his father who owned the company sold it and works for the people he sold it to. In the mean time I have had 5 different perio- dentists see me..and I hate that. As of Dec. they closed that office and now only have one way on the other side of town. So now I have to find another one.:(

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.