Overheating Phone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you experienced your phone to heat up? When I acquired my Samsung S3, it was like that all the time, heating up and sometimes it is overheating, I guess. But I did not mind it because another user of Samsung had told me that it was natural. Okay.

But last year, I noticed the cover of the case is somewhat ajar. When I investigated, something was wrong inside - the battery looks bloated. I immediately brought my phone to the tech. The diagnosis is a bloated battery due to overheating. And the cause is overcharging. The advice - unplug the charger when the battery is already charged.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a Motorola phone do that, but they replaced it for free and I haven't had any trouble with the new one. They never mentioned a cause and, since I mostly use my phone as an Internet hotspot, I leave it on the charger most of the time. The hotspot feature brings the battery down quickly otherwise.

3. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting. That's good to know. I had a el cheapo phone and it would heat up quite a bit. Sometimes just from being in my purse and not having good airflow. I just got a new phone. It's a Samsung! I haven't had any problems with it heating up. In fact, it's been quite cooler than my old phone. I will keep in mind what you said about overcharging though. That's something to file away in the back of my mind.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have an iPhone and I have never had any trouble with it overheating. Sometimes I leave it on the charger overnight, and it has never even been warm afterwards. I usually try to charge the phone during the day because I plug the iPad in at nite and leave it to charge overnight.
    I was also told that it is good to let the battery go almost dead sometimes before you charge it again; so I try and remember to do that with both the phone and the iPad every now and then.

5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Happened to me with my first smartphone, an HTC Excalibur, which was truly great for the moment it was released, but used to get overheated very easy.

After less than one year of regular use, the battery began to inflate, the charge was not longer retained at all and, at the very end my sister lost the phone one day she borrowed it from me.

I guess the battery probably exploded in the hands of whoever found that phone.

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Huh, I never would've thought that overcharging could cause such trouble. I always thought that once a phone is charged, you can leave it plugged in, as it won't have any effect. It seems that I was dead wrong, then. Thanks a lot for the advice: it seems I'll have to be more careful with charging my phone.

Corie Henson likes this.