Out My Window

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Diane Lane, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Post a picture of something you see out your window right now. Let's get a glimpse into one another's lives.

Do you see the little heart cloud to the right of the tree? Happy Saturday, All! heart cloud little.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

wow that Is really neat , Diane.. Even thought its still winter I have a determined little Jonquil wanting to bloom .. lol

[​IMG]

3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry.....................................
    I can't do this one as I don't have access to the window (patio doors) and I don't have a camera..

Our patio doors have a shelving unit in front of them that has some of our outdoor summer plants..

Besides all you would see is WHITE as we have tons of snow..

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Aww, I love seeing the first signs of Spring. I can remember when I lived up north how hopeful it would make me feel. Mainly what I'm seeing growing here are weeds, but I'm starting to think about gardening, so it won't be long. Are Jonquils easy to grow @Louise Williams?

5. Louise Williams

Registered

they are small bulbs. just plant like you would tulip bulbs , they come up every year. today it bloomed I have a pic but have not uploaded it yet. they look like miniature daffodils. How far up north did you live? ...I use to live in Ill. 32yrs..was born there..

Here is a picture outside our home , an early morning sunrise, we are almost surrounded by trees..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

7. Louise Williams

Registered

This is in the summertime but its the view from our bedroom window in the back of our[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] house..well, that didn't work :eek: I will just copy the pic then..

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Ooh, I like that view @Louise Williams. It's somewhat similar to what I had from my last 2nd story apartment. I loved seeing deer walking through the woods, and there was an amazing variety of birds, including hummingbirds. I've never had success attracting hummingbirds for some reason, probably because I would forget to keep adding nectar. I had a neighbor across the way though, and his hummingbird feeder was within view of my comfy chair, so I'd sit and watch them. I was on the balcony here a few years back and on the phone with my mom. Something odd sized buzzed me, and I mentioned to my mom that a huge bee had come at me (from behind/the side, so I didn't get a good look at it), then I realized it was a hummingbird.

Here's my view from where I'm sitting. I rigged the feeder on the balcony so I could watch the birds while I sat here, but of course this squirrel is hogging the feeder.

squirrel lunch.jpg

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Diane Lane

Registered

What are those, Shirley, gourd feeders? What type of birds are they?

11. Louise Williams

Registered

Diane, those birds are Purple Martins.. I only have 2 of those gourds and we have purple martins but they never nested in them but there was a nest in one but not sure what it was,, I do have a pic of some baby blue jays I took last year..

[​IMG]

And speaking of deer , we have deer by us too. I have to watch they don't get eat my fig bush or my peach tree buds too,, some time we get a whole herd of then come around usually from 5 to 5 deer including their little ones too. its fun to watch the little ones play.. I have pics of them ,but just have not found them yet to show you but I did find this one, even though its not the best pic out my window..

[​IMG]

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

@Louise Williams do y'all make the gourd feeders/houses or buy them? They look familiar, so I think I've seen them in the past. I have also seen special houses specifically for purple martins, although I've never seen the birds in real life. I thought they needed the special homes, since that's what I'd always seen associated with them. I love seeing baby birds. I'm seeing some tiny feathers on the balcony, so I guess the parents are bringing them to drink the water/eat seeds, but I haven't seen any of the babies myself. Aww, love the baby blue jay pic, how adorable! I have some pics somewhere of the babies/family that used to live on my old balcony. If I ever find them, I'll try to remember to post them. I very rarely get pictures of the deer here. Just seeing them calms me down, and usually when I see them, I also see bunnies.

Here's a picture of scarlet tanager 3 15 percent for forums.JPG the Scarlet Tanager that I saw out back the other night.

Shirley Martin and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Living by a drainage ditch for Cypress Creek, there are plenty of these herons by my house.
    Also large hawks, owls....

Funny Accidents Pictures.jpg

Shirley Martin and Diane Lane like this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

I love the egrets and herons. There are quite a few here, since I'm near the water and also a big gully, but when it rains and there's standing water in the neighborhood ditches, I will sometimes see them hanging out here in the neighborhood, which I enjoy.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  15. Louise Williams

Registered

Bonnie that picture is just awesome with the white pond lilies in bloom too. beautiful !!..
    I don't live near the ocean in Maine anymore (use to see them a lot ,but when we lived in La. . we had white herons in the drainage ditches there, too,... but not here in Tn. the largest body of water near us is the Tn. River, other than that there are hundreds of Creeks.. some wide some narrow. I miss the ocean views..

Almost forgot to tell you ,. I bought the gourds from an Amish family. then dear hubby had to drill the hole and also driled 3 small holes on the bottom too.. then I had to to use a long brush to clean out the inside then let it dry , then I painted them white ,which you can see the paint Is chipping after 3 yrs now.. and yes you can buy them factory made too but they are expensive, I only paid one dollar each, and I only got 2 of them.. Shirley is the one who told me how to clean them and paint them,, you can actually grow your own gourds too if you want.. though I never did...lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Diane Lane and Bonnie Thomas like this.