Our Version Of Lemonade Stand

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure the lemonade stand is still popular there. We are not lemonade drinkers for lemonade is not common here. But what we have during summer is the halo-halo stand which is usually managed by the children just like the lemonade stands there.

Halo-halo is a cold dessert in a glass that contains sweetened dessert items like jackfruit, sweet potato, sago, yam, palm fruit, etc. Half a spoon of every ingredient goes into the glass which is topped with crushed ice with added sugar and milk. The customer would use a spoon to mix the concoction before eating. The literal translation of halo is mix so halo-halo means you have to mix and mix (with the use of a spoon). That halo-halo stand is one means of earning money for the children since there is no school.

But that halo-halo stand had metamorphosed into a bigger figure. During summer, it is common to see tables in front of some houses with their food offering normally for the mid afternoon snack. There is banana cue (as I had posted in the Banana thread) and the barbecue as well - pork, chicken parts, etc. But this barbecue stand is managed by the mothers and not by the children anymore. It is already a cottage industry business that sometimes the stands last until after the summer vacation.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That just doesn't sound appetizing to me, Corie...sorry. I hate milk, don't eat sugar and I don't even understand how it looks. Is it blended?
    Besides the yam and the sweet potato I haven't heard of the other things.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I cannot blame you because that halo-halo is a delicacy in this tropical country, a cooler similar to smoothie or shake. So if you do not like milk then I guess it's not for you. But I'm sure you would like the fruits that are sweetened or cooked in syrup. And there's also the puffed glutinous rice with matching gelatin cubes and sago balls. No, it is not blended so you get to choose what you eat. There is halo-halo in most malls and I often see foreigners eating that delicacy.