Our Next Home Improvement Project Is Coming Up Soon

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Yvonne Smith, May 28, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds nice and refreshing. The stairs would be more stable than a ladder any day, and less chance of slipping and getting hurt. I'm glad y'all got it up and usable before the heat wave hit. Looks like it's going to be another scorcher today. I'm going to put some ice cubes in the strays' bowl in a bit. Have fun!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have actually been using the pool almost every day, and already we think it was a great investment. SSince we go to the fitness center every other day, I also swim when we are there and do my water exercises; but on the non-gym days, then we swim in the pool. Sometimes, we swim even on days when we went to the fitness center. After one of these scortching summer days, it just feels incredibly wonderful to get into that refreshing water and paddle around in there.
    We have been letting the little dogs swim, too. So far, they are not impressed with the idea; but i think that they feel better afterwards, too. We usually rinse them down first, although they are not really dirty ssince they are mostly inside the house with us, and just outside when I am working in the yard.
    Even the smaller pool that we had before was great for getting into and cooling off in the hot weather, and those usually go on sale mid-summer, in casee anyone else is thinking about gtting a backyard pool.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My next project is minimal next to yours. I need to paint the outside of my home this summer. You arr taking on something grander.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll bet that cool pool water feels great during these extremely hot days. We've been under a heat alert here, and most people stay indoors, unless they have a pool or are at the beach. Even then, it's important to remember to stay hydrated. I had been in the pool for several hours, and was feeling refreshed, when I had my first heat stroke. These days, I just say no to being outside during the heat, if at all possible. I love seeing the projects y'all do. I'm going through some things here, and am trying out the mobile sales apps. Hopefully one of them will work, and I can declutter around here while making a little money.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I love swimming, but when it gets too hot, I hate going out in the sun to go down to the water. I tend to do my swimming at night when the daytime temps get way up there. I think it is going to be 90 plus every day this week so I am going to avoid going out during the day as much as possible. I have noticed in the past after a string of a few 100 degree days the water is not even refreshing. It is like swimming in a warm bath tub.

6. Yvonne Smith

We are totally loving the pool !
    We are out there just about every day now, and the water is perfect. The water filter gurgles along when the filtered water comes back out, so it sounds like we are in some remote little peaceful pond with a burbling creek cascading down into the water.
    We have trees all around, which help to complete the illusion of being somewhere very private, and not in a dinky little back yard in a large town.
    Of course, then the ambulance will go screaming past down the main throroughfare behind us, and shatter that sense of peace and tranquility. But, even so, it is something that we both enjoy doing together, and we have even involved Chipper and Tootsie.
    We bring them out and let them swim a little , and then they lie on one of the foats with a thick towel covering it, and drift around the pool while Bobby and I are swimming and sunbathing. They are not sure that they like swimming yet; but they do seem to enjoy being right there in the pool with us when they are on the float.

K E Gordon and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My next home project is painting the outside of my house. I have been looking at paint and am suprised at the price. $48.00 a gallon at Loews seems very pricey.

8. Yvonne Smith

The pool has been starting to get cooler (cold actually), probably because we had some cooler days and rain. I started checking on Amazon and found a pool blanket on clearance sale, and we got one of those. It is basically a large 15 foot circle of blue bubble wrap, and it just floats on top of the pool. The bubbles collect heat and keep the pool warmer overnight as well.
    It is easy to move, we just roll it up as we go into the pool, and then sort of drape it over the far edge of the pool. Since it is very lightweight, it is easy to roll and unroll it. The pool is a LOT warmer with this blanket on top, and we should be able to use the pool much longer this fall with the blanket keeping it warmer.
    We are also thinking about finding a solar heater that will help keep the water warmer because we want to be able to swim as long this fall as possible.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Anything that keeps you being able to swim in your pool for a bit longer is worth it, and the cover sounds easy to use.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been waiting for the weather to cool off so I could do some things outside. I mostly have interior projects planned as I try to ready tis house for sale, however, I do want to use a pressure watcher on the outdoor wood, and hopefully get some painting done. We also have to get a new dryer and although I have a large microwave..the Over the range one needs to be installed and it has been sitting here for quite a long time. A friend bought it for me...I said one thing I don't want is it sitting aound in a box...and of course that is where it is!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just had an epiphany and when I told my wife about it, her eyes lit up then I sort of got ......that look. You guys know...that look ......because we all get them, but I digress.

The idea is to purchase an RV (lit up eyes) and haul a small trailer carrying my tools behind it. (that look). We can then monitor the discussion groups, especially this one, and go from place to place helping folks fix up whatever is tore up and have a permanent vacation at the same time.

Granted, a small charge of some gas money and perhaps a good meal might be an appropriate trade but it would be far friendlier and cheaper than any other $50.00 an hour fix it guy might charge.

Naw, I guess not. Back to the drawing board cause I'm still getting that look..........but I love her anyway.

12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Look out @Bobby Cole @Yvonne Smith will have you building a glass room around that pool. And, you'll have no excuse, you're capable of doing it. That's the problems with having skills, people want you to use them. Just think, swimming all year round, and how could you say no to Yvonne? :p

image.jpeg

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

An extremely novel and doable project but not without some problems the least of which is removing a lot of trees from around the pool. Glass roofs have a habit of breaking when heavy tree limbs drop on them.
    Like I wrote, tree limbs are the least of my problems because I KNOW my wife. The minute she is presented with a window, I wind up having to hang curtains.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the idea Bobby! You would be here awhile. I have lots of projects.

I'd be excited about just having an RV if I was Ynonne. Something I've always dreamed of...going from place to place and seeing the country. Along the way you can help people.

I want you guys to start planning this right away! :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey @Bobby Cole and @Yvonne Smith , if I help with finances can I come too? I can drive, scrub the RV, and in general be Yvonne's helper. I wouldn't take up much space, and Izzy sleeps with me. We don't eat much either. And, I promise to ride in the tool trailer when y'all want privacy, or I could attach a scooter to the back, and we could call it a convoy.

image.jpeg

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.