Our Next Home Improvement Project Is Coming Up Soon

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Yvonne Smith, May 28, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We ordered a new and larger backyard swimming pool a while back, and it has now been delivered and waiting for us to set it up in the back yard.
    The most level place on the property is right outside the back door, where it was once leveled and graveled as part of the driveway. There are no trees right there either for leaves and bugs to fall into the pool, and it is easy to get to; so that is where the pool is scheduled to be set up.

The old pool was under 3' tall, so I could step into it; but this one is almost 4', so I will need a small deck to stand on first, and then put the ladder inside for me to climb down with.
    The back door has only some ugly old concrete steps and an old railing that @Bobby Cole built for me to hold onto walking down the steps, so it is due for an upgrade in any case.
    We are looking at making a small deck out the back door and then the pool will be at the end of the deck, and then either steps or a small ramp that goes down into the yard along the side of the pool.

The pool will literally be right out the back door; but that is not a bad thing, and will be close and easy for us to get in and out of to go swimming every day this summer. It will not be any different for going down into the back yard, just a different direction, and probably actually easier.
    Both Chipper and I have a terrible time going up and down the back steps anyway, so having a short ramp there will make it a lot easier for us to go out into the yard as well.

We are still in the planning part; but I think that it will be awsome once we have the pool set up ! !

Patsy Faye, Sandy Wood and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , We will be needing pictures my friend. It's a good thing that Bobby is a builder. I know you'll be in a little bit of heaven.

Bobby will have to safeguard his workshop/garage or you'll be figuring out how to put that pool in there. :eek:

3. Yvonne Smith

Bobby will always have his garage space all to himself, @Ina I. Wonder . There is just way too much SAWDUST in there to put the swimming pool in the workshop !
    Behind the garage/shop (since a car never actually goes in there) is where he is making a small greenhouse, and then he plans on making a sauna at one end of it eventually. Since there is just about 10 feet of totally wasted space between the back of the shop and the back fence, this will put it to a good use.

This morning, we pulled the orange Ranger out of the yard and into the driveway. It seems to be running okay now, so we want to start driving it and see how it does.
    Our house sits at the top of a small knoll; so the ground slopes down to the west in the back yard, and down to the east in the front yard. The most level space is where the original driveway used to go beside the house and out to the garage.
    That is where the new pool is going to go, and Bobby is unpacking it now so we can start laying it out.

We will set the pool up first, and then Bobby can take his time building the back deck from the porch to the pool.
    I will have to move a few plants but probably not a lot, and nothing major.
    Here is where it will be going, so everyone can get an idea of what the project is going to look like, and I will post more pictures once we get the pool up and running.
    image.jpeg

4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Yvonne Smith , After Bobby is through you'll have to have a pool party just to show to off. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, a pool party is in order together with the barbecue, hahahaaah. If only I could be there, surely I would bring my best dish for that pool party. I am not really that fond of swimming but lately the kids (nephew and nieces) were always requesting a trip to the beach or pool resort. Maybe if our place is bigger then we can have the same pool in the backyard. It would be great to hold a pool party every weekend for my young relatives.

PS. With the commotion going on in installing that big pool, I'm sure Chipper is very excited.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

The pool is set up, and full of water ! I was in it for the first time today, and I love it already . Since I had to use the pool ladder to get in and out of the pool, Bobby was right there beside me making sure that I didn't fall or have any other trouble.
    After swimming, I warmed up and sunbathed in the zero gravity recliner, so I will also hopefully be getting a nice suntan this summer.

Once I practice using the ladder, I should be able to get in and out with the ladder; but we are still going to make a small deck outside of the back door.
    This way, it won't matter how long it takes us to get the deck ready, we can still use the pool while @Bobby Cole is designing and building the back deck.
    I am excited about having the pool here at home, and now I will probably expand what exercises that i do at the fitness center, because now I can swim as much as I want right here in our own pool.
    When we go to Walmart, I am going to get one of those pool noodles so I can learn a few more water exercises to do in the pool.
    image.jpeg

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, the pool is up and the old one is going to be a fish pond which I am sure that @Yvonne Smith will expound upon.

The problem with the new one is something I didn't think of as I was putting extenders on the legs to level the top.
    There was a 4" slope to the land over the 15' span of the pool so I made some extensions from 1" to 4" with a 3" overlap out of some heavy duty PVC. They seem to work just great but I didn't wrap the overlapping edges so now I'm a bit afraid there might be a chance of wear and splitting. There is only one solution so I might have to bite the bullet and dump half the pool to get the weight off of the overlaps so I can place some pads between the pool sides and the PVC edges.

I thought I learned many years ago to think things completely through in order to save on time and money.
    Again, the idea of "if ya don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you find time to do it again in order to make it right" comes to mind.

Stuck on stupid I am not, but this time the project simply reeks of stupidity.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole, so you had a 'senior moment' who doesn't. You really didn't have to share that oversight, but you did and I am going to give you a pat on the back for a job well done.

[​IMG]

9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Bobby Cole you are a perfectionist, and way too hard on yourself. But I truely believe tou enjoy it all, especially when it brings out the twinkle in @Yvonne Smith eyes. :rolleyes: :)

10. Yvonne Smith

We had a bad thunderstorm last night, and it apparently knocked over power poles just a block or so away from us. Our power was out for over an hour before they got things re-routed and power back on.
    This morning, the swimming pool is full of small branches floating around and leaves on the bottom. We are going to go out this afternoon and get in the pool and clean it out.
    We have the little leaf-scooper device that I can use to get most of the large leaves and debris out of it, and then Bobby will attach the pool vacuum and clean out the smaller stuff that is on the bottom.
    We have decided to give away the old pool, and I listed it on Craigslist today. Just keeping one pool clean is all we want to have to do, plus, we have both decided that we won't want to be cleaning and eating enough fish to make it worthwhile trying to raise them.
    My friend out in Idaho posted pictures of their pool last summer, and they had built a small deck with stairs going up from the outside and then down inside the pool. This is what I am hoping that @Bobby Cole will be able to build for us with our pool.
    I have been using that teeny-tiny ladder to climb in and out, and Bobby holds it steady and helps me when ever I get in or out of the pool; but I will like it SO much better when we actually have steps going into the pool so I can get in there safely.
    Here is a picture of my friend's pool steps, so everyone can see what I am talking about.

image.jpeg

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Actually, I was thinking of something more in line with what might be found at a water park. I have already made plans to build a 30' high ladder leading to a slide which tips up at the end thereby hoisting my wife into the air at Mach 1. At her return to earth she would then have a nice landing onto a diving board which would allow her to do a breath taking 2 1/2 summersault with a twist into a 4' deep pool.

Of course, the ladder will have some nice railings. Safety first I always say!!

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm sure she'd be thrilled with that, @Bobby Cole.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I found this vid on FB and it pretty much describes what I might do with our pool. Obviously the pool is a bit smaller and so is the property. The slide will have to be a bit more vertical and the end a bit more tilted upward but you guys get the general idea. Uh.....guys! Look at the slide, not the opposite gender please.
    https://www.facebook.com/AWMAmerica/posts/935938903176212

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, like I said before @Yvonne Smith is sure to say, 'You first, my dear.' with less enthusiasm.:D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016