Our Indigenous Games

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Corie Henson, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Born and raised in a city apartment, I was not privileged to experience street games which are now being called indigenous games. But in the 1990s, when my sister's children were in grade school age and vacationing in our home, they would be playing street games right in front of our house. There were several times that my husband and I joined in the games and I tell you, it was lots of fun. It's a big regret to realize that I had missed a lot during my childhood. But I cannot blame my protective parents because I am the youngest in the family.

The most popular is the Patintero where lines are drawn on the ground - what we used were the line dividers of the concrete road. Each line is guarded and the opponent would try to cross the lines. There were 4 in each team guarding 4 lines. It was speed and agility. Another is the Tumbang Preso where there is one IT who guards the can that the other players would hit with their slipper. When the can is toppled (lay on its side), the players can get their slippers. But when the can is standing, the IT can tag anyone who will be the next IT. Again, it involves speed. And the third game we played was the common Hide and Seek. You can imagine the riot when we played it after dinner. It was kind of dark and the IT was always confused because everyone would come out of the hiding place simultaneously.

I wish those games will be immortalized by the new generation. But sad to say, the children are now engrossed in computer games.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson Your description of street games provides a look at serenity. The street games I observed in Chicago can only be described as mayhem. There lies the difference in basic attitudes displayed by folks in the streets.

Frank

Corie Henson and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved 'Rounders' your equivalent of Baseball - I was very good at this one too :D
    I also liked Jacks or Fives and Hopscotch
    I played up to my teens, can't see that happening today !

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Based on the stories I heard from those with who had played those games, they learned it in school. And according to one grade school teacher of the olden times, those street games were the predecessor of sports. Instead of a try out for a sports team, some schools get their players who are good in those street games. That may be the reason why those street games have a sort of code of discipline because it is not only child's play but can be considered a sport.

My husband was one of the good players during their grade school years. He was taken as a sprinter in the school games. Their best runner had been selected for the basketball team upon entering high school. And the 5-foot-3 guy was a hit in the NCCA of their era. And that's all because of the street games.