Our Health Can Change In A Flash And Determine Where And How We Live

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Ideally we all stay in good health to age 100 and then die in our sleep. But that's hardly ever the case. That call from the doctor about your recent tests can change it all. Strokes, Heart Attacks, Diabetes. Kidney and Bladder Stones, can and do occur in otherwise healthy looking people. My flash occured at age 73 in 2007, 13 years into retirement.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So true. I was blind-sided with a cancer diagnosis a few months ago when I previously had no serious health issues at all. I still feel fine, thankfully, and I don't foresee any changes in my living arrangements beyond buying an adjustable bed.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Lon Tanner I thought you believed everything was within your control? You once said you live where you do simply because you made all the right decisions and "luck" had nothing to do with it, implying that if you were a black girl born in the Congo, you would have ended up in the same place due to your fine decision-making. How can disease be any different?

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Not all health issues can be prevented or controlled.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That was his point. You have always claimed that people can control everything in their lives by the choices they make, but apparently not.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

I don't recall EVER saying people can control EVERYTHING by the choices they make. That would be stupid. Show me where I ever said such a dumb thing.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Here's what I said----
    The Choices We Make Determine Much Of How We Shall Live, But Not All

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

The Choices We Make Determine Much Of How We Shall Live, But Not All

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Right or wrong, we wanted to move back to Colorado.........and we did. I get the same type of osteoarthritis pain here that I did living in Florida. And, we also found out that either of us could fall anywhere during any kind of weather. I fell in ice/snow, when we lived here before, that required a rotator cuff surgery in right shoulder and I fell on a beautiful warm day in the parking lot of the complex we lived in in Florida.

So, we may have to put up with "Old Man Winter" here, but the summers are fabulous. To us, anyway. No more tropical storms, hurricanes, bugs, high heat and humidity.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, things can change dramatically and help form the limits of what we can and can’t do but never, if we are in our right mind, take away our ability to take control of our lives.
    If someone tells me I Have to do this or that, it is still within my power to make any decision that affects my own welfare.

I WAS in a condition that totally limited what I could do which, by the grace of God, a good VA doctor and my decision to live and live productively, all is well. I couldn’t walk 10 feet comfortably without stopping to take a breath and picking up anything over 10 lbs or so was improbable. Heck, I could barely dress myself.
    During that period, at no point did I even think about moving to a place that had someone else making my decisions for me.
    All that said, that’s me and not what someone else might, would or could opt for.
    Other people do what they do for whatever reason(s) they have. They may want to live to see another grandchild or just because but life on this earth just isn’t that precious to me if I can’t be productive and self sufficient.

Personally, why Lon decided to move where he lives or how much he spends to live there or even what he eats is his business, not mine. The only reason I even make any comments on it is that he throws it out here making it available to comment on.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes Fate, Luck, or whatever determine the choices available to you. In my own case, I had my life mapped out and everything was on track...until my draft lottery number was pulled and I was #7. That immediately changed the set of choices I had to make. Similar things have happened through my life that determined my options. It was not solely me who determined the course of my life. God has seemingly protected me from making terrible choices, but not completely closing my options.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s kinda funny that you brought up the military. Not funny ha-ha but funny in regard to being able to make choices.
    It’s true that our time spent being soldiers was one of following orders and SOP but, we were also taught to be able to make decisions based on the information we’re given. Other military people in other armies simply followed orders and weren’t allowed to see beyond those orders. If a sergeant got killed, they were lost whilst our men were taught how to, and be able to take over should anything like that happen. My goodness, our military almost thrived on field grade commissions.

The thing I’m getting at is that I still carry around much of that training in as much as I do not believe that a trained combat soldier ever stops being a soldier. I made good and bad choices then, I make good and bad choices now but I also carry the full weight of a thing called responsibility for myself, and to a large extent, my wife.

Don Alaska likes this.