Our Fragile Supply Chain

Discussion in 'In the News' started by John West, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don’t know if this is right or not; but I found this picture on Twitter this morning, and it said that this is the cargo ships that are not being allowed to unload. There is a lot of them all over, from the looks of this picture. If the goods are there, and the government is not allowing them to be unloaded, then the government is creating the shortages we are having again.

81476077-E5FC-42BA-B5CE-C9FE0718EC2D.jpeg

Don Alaska, John West and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

What’s interesting to me is that the Port of New Orleans is one of the largest ports in the world (sistered with Hong Kong) but yet I really do not see anything stacked up at that port.
    I would think that instead of massive amounts of tonnage sitting in the Pacific that some of those ships would be diverted to New Orleans.
    Granted, it’s a lot of miles but depending on how long a ship has to sit before being unloaded ……

Don Alaska and John West like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe the Gulf ports aren't stacked up because it's hurricane season. Houston/Galveston are huge ports, too.

4. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Aaaahhhh yes; the supply chain. Wife and I drove to the west coast of Florida, to Cedar Key yesterday (Absolutely must if you visit Fl.) to celebrate my birthday. We ate at our favorite restaurant, second floor overlooking the water. I had my favorite lunch, Oyster Poboy. (People familiar with Louisiana will be familiar with poboy.) The University of Fl is currently helping the oyster people there to develop both wild and farm. Still I had to wonder if the oysters in my sandwich were local, or from the warehouse in Nabraska. In the local supar market shrimp is available in local, very large and very expensive, or imports from South America and South East Asia, smaller and less expensive.

I've often wondered, while pushing the $200+ grocery cart out to the car, how many miles are therin.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, happy belated anniversary of your birth James!!
    It does look like it turned out well but alas, the oysters out of the gulf have pretty much been discontinued because of the recent problems with the weather so I dunno. ‘
    The intercoastal waterway has some good beds but again, with the water so stirred up it’s highly possible that your oysters were shipped in from western Louisiana or East Texas or Florida for that matter.
    It probably is as @Beth Gallagher suggested; because of the hurricanes there really isn’t much shipping coming out of the gulf area.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

New York Ports Backing Up:

More than two dozen container ships appear to be stuck at sea miles off the south shore of Long Island, according to a maritime traffic monitoring website as more than 60 vessels wait to dock at two of the country’s largest ports on the West Coast.

The logjam at the nation's three busiest ports comes as the economy reels from a supply chain crunch which as been exacerbated by a shortage of truck drivers. The situation has deteriorated to the point where supermarkets have been unable to stock their shelves with products while FedEx has had to reroute hundreds of thousands of packages.

MarineTraffic, the global ship tracking site, shows cargo ships and oil tankers clustered just a few miles off of the coastline that stretches from Long Beach in the west to Lido Beach and Jones Beach Island in the east.

As of 9pm local time, the ships appear to have remained in place for hours.

The Port of New York and New Jersey appears to be beset by the same congestion caused by the surge in imports that has created a massive logjam of shipping containers waiting to berth in the waters of Los Angeles and Long Beach.
    Source

[​IMG]
    One would think east coast ports wouldn't be as backed up as those on the west coast.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Article: Workers Who Maintain Supply Chains Warn of Worldwide ‘System Collapse. That's the title of an Epoch Times article that says the following:

Several industry groups have warned world leaders of a worldwide supply-chain “system collapse” due to pandemic restrictions, coming as Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell suggested that the current period of higher inflation will last until 2022.

The International Chamber of Shipping, a coalition of truck drivers, seafarers, and airline workers, has warned in a letter to heads of state attending the United Nations General Assembly that governments need to restore freedom of movement to transportation workers amid persistent COVID-19 restrictions and quarantines.

If nothing is done, they warned of a “global transport system collapse” and suggested that “global supply chains are beginning to buckle as two years’ worth of strain on transport workers take their toll,” according to the letter. It was signed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the International Road Transport Union (IRU), and the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF), which represent some 65 million transport workers around the world.

More at Source.​

The truth is proabably somewhere between "it's just fine" and "total collapse into chaos" leaning more toward the latter.

8. Yvonne Smith

Even the local radio station that Bobby listens to in the mornings is talking about financial crisis around the middle of October. The report from Clif High that I just posted yesterday in the Conspiracy section , said that he is looking for problems to happen next month as well, and getting worse for the rest of this year.
    I am not a prepper, per se, but I have been trying to buy some extra storable food whenever we make a shopping order. It won’t do much in a major collapse, but if there are just shortages, it will at least help.

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and John West like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

October 15 is the date I most often hear cited as the collapse day. I have been hearing this date mentioned since spring of this year from multiple sources. I don't know if that is a random date, or if the date has been targeted for the collapse. Even a financial services company I deal with has noted this fall will be bad, but things will recover next year.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I just heard the Fed has lifted all reserve requirements for savings "to boost the economy". This will allow banks to loan any amount of money they choose with nothing to back it at all. Talking about a recipe for total economic collapse, this is it. It may make the Great Depression pale in comparison.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was shopping for cameras on B&H Photo’s website, and many cameras are listed, but most are out of stock. Canon is the only exception.

12. Yvonne Smith

I found this picture on Twitter this morning, and it shows how many cargo ships are off shore here and waiting to be unloaded. There are several videos of the ships waiting just off the coast of California that are on Twitter as well.
    It makes it pretty obvious that the only shortage is because the ships are not able to unload their goods anywhere.

8970F5F4-8C7C-4D77-A6FD-E3E27A14E9C8.jpeg

13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we've arranged shelves for stocking canned foods...

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

This is a prepper YouTube channel, but this guy has a handle on many things and is very enlightening

15. Yvonne Smith

Here is another picture showing the cargo ships that are being refused entry to unload in the United States. The red ones are fuel, and the green ones are cargo. So you can see why the fuel prices went up, and both fuel and food will probably continue to go up as long as the ships are not allowed to unload cargo.

E8FA75E9-BE56-4E2F-88C6-139FED4FD550.jpeg

Don Alaska and John Nopales like this.