Our Favorite Dylan Lyrics

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Joe Riley, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I got interested in a story about the movie Easy Rider, and thought it might be of interest because of Peter Fonda's recent death, plus the 50th anniversary of the film this year.

Background:

The soundtrack of Easy Rider featured 10 songs. The star and script writer, Peter Fonda, had initially intended to use Bob Dylan's song "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" in the film, but after failing to license the track [Dylan refused to grant it], Fonda asked Roger McGuinn of the Byrds to record a cover version of the song instead. Fonda also wanted Dylan to write the film's theme song, but after he declined, Fonda asked McGuinn.

Long story short, Bob Dylan wrote most of the lyrics of the Ballad of Easy Rider, but strongly objected to being credited in the film in any way.

Peter Fonda's version of the story is about 5 minutes long, in the middle of a 12 minute video. Click HERE to skip to the correct spot (5:51) if interested.

Ballad of Easy Rider

McGuinn's version of, It's Alright, Ma (I'm only Bleeding)

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazing story, Nancy! When Dylan "grabs a piece of paper"......all heaven breaks loose!:cool:;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe this song belongs in the country music thread, but it has a connection to Bob Dylan. The lyrics were 25+ years in the making. .

The chorus of the song Wagon Wheel. was written by Bob Dylan in 1973, but he never finished the song or recorded it. Critter Fuqua [a person] picked up a bootleg copy of a Dylan practice session of Wagon Wheel, then titled “Rock Me Mama,” when Fuqua was in the 9th grade.

Fuqua later became a member of the band Old Crow Medicine Show (OCMS), let bandmate Ketch Secor listen to it, and Secor wrote the verses. OCMS recorded it, certified Platinum in 2013. . Darius Rucker won the Grammy Award for Best Country Solo Performance (2014) for his version of Wagon Wheel.

Grand Old Opry performance of Wagon Wheel, 2012.. Ketch Secor is lead singer. Critter Fuqua is second from the right on banjo.

Bob Dylan's practice session. Lyrics included in the comments on Youtube, but not guaranteed accurate.