Our Cecropias

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The last week or so, we encountered thousands of these guys along the riverwalk, dead and dying, the wild ducks having a grand time "cleaning up". The ducks are another story all by itself; they roam aboiut the river (Colorado), many remaining year-round, and have become accustomed to folks strolling by just a few feet away. The Cecropias, however, are only around for a short time each year, and they are huge and beautiful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Night before last, when I went out to my shop to close up for the night, a Cecropia was trapped inside, "worrying" a fluorescent light. I could do little to capture it, so darkened the place for the night. Yesterday morning, there I found it clinging to the screen inside of the open window. I placed a yogurt container over it, then slipped a cardboard over the opening, took it in the house to show my wife, who was getting ready for our daily jaunt, she suggested I place it on the Orange tree.

Upon my releasing it by the tree, Mr. Moth had a much different idea: it instantly flew straight upwards and away, quickly out of sight!

Frank

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Beautiful! I had one like the bottom picture on the ceiling under my carport once. I estimate that it's wingspan was about 5 inches. I'm not sure it was the same kind but it looks like it. It was gone the next morning. I guess it just stopped to rest a while.

Frank Sanoica likes this.