Online Grocery Shopping Is Here

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Gary Ridenour, May 14, 2016.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

what a time/labor saver. I have an online shopping account now with HY-VEE. I hate grocery shopping. and this answers my prayers. you create an account and down the electronic isles you go. when finished check out. they send me a mail saying its been received. then later another one that says come and get it !!! drive to their pickup lane, call em. they bring out the goods, load it in your car, sign for it and your gone. you never leave your car.
    there is a charge. 2.95 for the store P/U or if you want 5.95 and they bring it to your door. here's the link:

https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/DP7824608/Vitamins-Supplements

but hold the phone. I just got a mail from Walmart. they want a piece of this action to. looks like its just starting. and my local store is in. ive started shopping but don't have all the details yet. and I don't think all stores are online yet. you just need to check:

http://blog.walmart.com/innovation/20150929/grocery-shopping-that-works-with-your-schedule

start here. happy shopping:

http://grocery.walmart.com/usd-estore/m/home/anonymouslanding.jsp

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you really just getting online grocery shopping now? ..in 2016?:eek:

Seriously we've had online grocery shopping for many, many years... just sit at the computer place your order...choose a delivery time slot that suits you.....and the driver will even bring the groceries right into your kitchen for you

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sam's Club also does the online shopping, too. I have seen that information, and I am pretty sure that my daughter shops that way, at least some of the time.
    We do order some things from Amazon; but as far as most of the grocery shopping, I like to do that myself, and pick out what I want. Plus, I am always looking for the markdown specials, and you have to be there to see what they have on closeout each time.
    I am not sure if Kroger delivers, or has online shopping at all, and that is where I do most of my shopping. I might check and see if they do have that.
    If they do have it, I might be able to become a delivery person for them and take people their groceries. Most of the people who order from a store probably order from one nearby, so then it would be in my area of town as well.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Those of us who are in rural areas can't really take advantage of things like that. I don't know anyone who gets their groceries delivered unless you count some kind of delivery service like Schwans. I know in the city areas alot of people use like Relay foods or maybe Peapod from Giant, but Hy Vee is not in our area. I like grocery shopping so I don't really care about grocery delivery, but it would be fun to get food when the weather is bad. Even if some grocery delivery service would come out here...you can be sure, you would be paying out the nose for it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Gary Ridenour

Registered

so have I. like I said I have it with HyVee and for many years. but Walmart, as i understand is just coming online. its just FYI

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Gary Ridenour

Registered

ill go in a store. but only at gun point now :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

For fresh produce and meats I would rather do those in person, however, Amazon also has a food section where you can buy groceries in bulk or by the piece and then have your order shipped to your door. another place I get some products in www.bulkfoods.com. This place sells baking ingredients, dried fruits, nuts, etc... I live in a very rural area long distance from Sam's Club, but we also have a local food-co-op for getting natural foods but the prices are steep and we have Schwan's but again their prices are steep compared to the grocery stores.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I buy a lot of grocery items from Amazon.com but I don't consider that to be the same as grocery deliveries. I know that many of the larger cities have grocery delivery services but not here. Even the pizza place is iffy, since they'll only deliver if they have enough people in the shop to cover someone going out with a delivery. That's okay, because the pluses of living in a small town outweigh the negatives.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Gary Ridenour

Registered

[​IMG]

I remember my mom taking me to these small mom & pop country stores when I was a kid. Saturday was shopping day. not only for the locals but farmers from miles away. it was a time to socialize to.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

WE have grocery deliveries from all of our Major supermarkets....online.....have had for years...

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Interestingly Walmart is the parent company of one of our Supermarkets (ASDA)...and they also have had online gorcery ordering and delivering for years here..they were a little bit later to the Game than our own Supermarket Giants , but given that it's a well known American supermarket..relatively unknown in this country until they bought out the ASDA chain...I'm surprised that they are so late bringing online grocery ordering and delivering to their own nation..

We in the UK always believe that where America leads we follow...and tbf it's generally true..but not in this case it would seem. :D

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey, hey, we also have that here since last year. I was kind of excited upon learning of that online grocery shopping as an innovation by Rustan's superstore, an upscale grocery. All right, I understand that the prices in that supermarket is quite higher than SM Hypermart where I usually shop. But I would just like to experience it. Isn't it cute to check on the list of goods online that comes with a photo and the tag price? It's like a computer game, huh.

However, no matter how excited I am, practicality still prevails. I have to check on past customers so I asked around. The first problem is the quality. A pack of tomatoes can have a spoiled piece. So what would you do in that case? When I shop, I always check for the contents of packed vegetables and fruits. Of course, quality is paramount. Next problem is the missing item. Although not in the bill but you were expecting cooking oil that was not delivered. So how could you fry the fries? And another issue is the extra items that you did not order.

It looks like worrisome for now so I dropped the idea. Now I am trying to enjoy shopping personally in the supermarket. At least I can eat in the adjacent restaurants. That's the plus side of personal shopping over online shopping... for now.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I know when I was living in the Boston area, Peapod and a few others were doing grocery deliveries. The big draws up there were that a lot of people didn't have vehicles, and also, many of the older buildings didn't have elevators, and lugging your heavy groceries up the stairs wasn't a pleasant task. It was so much nicer, apparently, to pay someone else to do it. I'd rather not have to drive to pick up groceries that I didn't select myself. I enjoy grocery shopping, and although I'd like the option of having groceries delivered sometimes, particularly if my vehicle was acting up, it's not an option here where I live.

We do have a few restaurants that deliver here, but my favorite one charges a double delivery fee for doing so. The others have a minimum order amount, so they can make sure it's worth their while financially, to deliver here.

14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Walmart has just started offering this service in the area I live in and I want to try it. I detest shopping in person at Walmart as it always seems crowded and the lines are long to check out. (Plus, when the humidity and heat become oppressive in the summer, I want to stay inside!) My only concern is allowing someone else shop for my fruits and veggies. I would feel more comfortable doing that on my own.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you have any farm stands near you @Texas Beth? Perhaps you could shop there for your produce and buy the rest at Walmart? I also don't like the idea of someone else picking out my produce, especially someone who may have been instructed to select the oldest or least desirable first, in order to cycle the items out. I'm not fussy about most things, but do have my preferences with regard to my fruit and vegetables.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.