One Smart Donkey

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife shared this story with me, this morning, from a devotional book "Voices of the Faithful".

One Smart Donkey

"This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him." I john 5:14-1S (NASB)

It was harvest time when Mrs. Tendai's (ten-DIES) donkey went missing. ¬She searched everywhere and even reported the missing animal to local police. When it was evident that her donkey had simply disappeared,, she began praying that it would return.

Due to lack of good seed, fertilizer and sufficient rain, Mrs. Tendai's harvest that year was small, and she had little money to buy food for her family. Several months later, her prayers were more about God providing -"daily bread" than finding the donkey. The family's maize meal supply was depleted. Would God answer her prayers for food?

The next morning, when Mrs. Tendai walked out of her hut, she was amazed to see her donkey standing there with a 100-pound bag of maize meal on its back! She was happy to see the donkey but afraid to use the maize meal since it wasn't hers.

Eventually a story was pieced together that a man had stolen her donkey and used it to do his labor. One night after grinding his corn, he went to the beer hall to drink, leaving the donkey burdened down with maize meal outside. The donkey realized that he was not far from home and decided to return to where he would be taken care of and fed.

The thief wishing to remain anonymous, did not claim his maize meal, so Mrs. Tendai was able to use it to feed her family. God had answered both of her prayers in a very unusual manner!
    - DONNA, CENTRAL, EASTERN AND SOUTHERN AFRICA

Heavenly Father, you are a god who loves justice, and you make a case for the poor. Thank you for hearing the prayers of this African woman. Make a way for children to eat during these difficult days in Zimbabwe. Show me how I can help the poor in my community. Amen

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Avigail David and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Wonderful tale. But stories like these do happen to ordinary people of difficult circumstances. The Scriptures say that God loves the poor, the widow, the orphaned. There is also the element of hard work such as in the case of the poor widow's pleas and prayers. She acknowledges the existence of the Almighty God for her to pray and trust Him. She is a hard working woman doing her best to tend the field to sell her harvests and feed her children.

God knows her circumstances as He does ours. Thanks for today's devotional. :)

Joe Riley likes this.