One Of The Best Antioxidants For Health

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't want to wear this antioxidant thing out, but after reading this, it maybe cannot be overstressed.

[​IMG]

"When it comes to brain protection, there is nothing quite like blueberries,” according to James Joseph, PhD, lead scientist in the Laboratory of Neuroscience at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University. “Call the blueberry the brain berry,” says Dr. Joseph.1

Dr. Joseph’s claim was made with the publication of his landmark blueberry research. It has since been bolstered by animal studies demonstrating that daily consumption of modest amounts of blueberries dramatically slows impairments in memory and motor coordination that normally accompany aging. Moreover, a wealth of exciting new research clearly establishes that in addition to promoting brain health, this long-prized native North American fruit—whether consumed fresh, frozen, canned, or as an extract—may confer a range of diverse health benefits.

After testing 24 varieties of fresh fruit, 23 vegetables, 16 herbs and spices, 10 different nuts, and 4 dried fruits, the US Department of Agriculture determined that blueberries scored highest overall in total antioxidant capacity per serving. As most health-conscious adults are aware by now, antioxidants are vital in countering free radicals, the harmful byproducts of cellular metabolism that can contribute to cancer and other age-related diseases.2

Separate studies show that blueberries may help to lower blood cholesterol,3 promote urinary tract health, and reduce the risk of urinary infections.4,5 Studies in Europe have documented the relationship between consumption of bilberries (the blueberry’s close European cousin) and eye health, highlighting the berries’ ability to improve night vision, halt cataract progression, and protect against glaucoma.6 New studies also support blueberries’ ability to reduce age-associated lipid peroxidation,7 a contributor to cardiovascular disease, and to suppress the growth of several types of cancer cells,8,9 suggesting that blueberry phytochemicals may well play a future role in human cancer treatment. And you can add to the manifold health benefits of blueberries at least one more reason to eat them daily: virtually everyone agrees that they are delicious."

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2006/2/report_blueberries/Page-01

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I liked fruit, not that I hate it. Always knew blueberries were good for you. I will eat them occasionally, but probably not in the amounts needed for its benefits.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

FWIW, @Chrissy Page , I researched them as supplements, and found some interesting stuff. First, since labeling requirements are much looser for OTC (?), some of the "Blueberry Extract" products are actually not berries at all, but rather dried and pulverized blueberry plant leaves! "Expert" opinion has it that the greenery is far less beneficial than the fruit. Then, I found one which is actually priced lower than the poorer stuff, made of "Wild Blueberry" fruit in capsules. I ordered some last night.

I lost the article, but will look for it, which cited a study made at a Florida Medical University in which volunteers consumed a cupful of fresh blueberries daily, and results showed a decrease on average of over 5% in blood cholesterol. A cupful is a lot, I agree. Cannot find meaningful data comparing supplement blueberry with quantity of fresh berries, though. Frank

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been having blueberries daily for a couple of years now, I have them in Kefir in the morning usually, I often buy them frozen or sometimes fresh, they seem to come mainly from Poland.