Omelets Of All Kinds

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our omelet is usually the simple egg with cheese cubes. But there are times that we include bits of spam or ham or sausage and slices of tomatoes as well. An onion omelet goes well with buttered toast. There was a time that I tried omelet with chopped basil leaves that they say is healthy, but was not a hit in our home. Corned beef omelet is the best for the kids.

What omelet do you cook?

Krissttina Isobe and Terry Page like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I make omelettes quite often and usually fry onions, sweet peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms in mine, I also make a variation called a frittata when I am particularly hungry see here http://is.gd/Q5SeeT

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Once, I stopped at my dad's after working the 11pm to 7am shift. He asked me if I wanted an omelet. Sure. What I got was an egg, fried and folded over. When he asked how I liked it, I said ok, but there's nothing in it. That sparked an argument about omelets and what is supposed to be, or not be in them.
    Sometimes I would order an omelet at my favorite eatery. I think I usually got either a Denver omelet or the Texas version. There was usually red and green peppers, onions, ham, cheese, mushrooms and sometimes black olives. Delicious.

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I love mushrooms, so any omelette that I cook is almost guaranteed to contain mushrooms. Like Terry (above), I like a frittata. I first came across that particular dish while living in Eritrea. One of the many good things about a frittata is that if your omelette goes horribly wrong, you can simply claim that you intended making frittata!

Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

My go to omelet right now is egg, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, fresh chunky tomato salsa, and melted extra sharp cheddar cheese (a little melted inside, a little melted on top). The smoked paprika never touches the salsa. When the egg is flipped over the paprika is cooked into the top and melted cheese on top of that.

Tips for health:
    I use extra sharp cheese because that way I can use less and it's still bursting with flavor.
    If I use salt I sprinkle a little on top because, since it's the first thing to touch your mouth, you think you've had more

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love omelets and I usually do sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese and if I have it some spinach.

I dont salt anything, I dont even think I have salt in the house.

Sometimes I go the salsa route too, there is just so many ways you can go with an omelet...and I eat it for lunch and or dinner too.

Love smoked paprika, Lara!

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a time when I wanted nothing to do with omelettes. Being a vegetarian in the 1980s was harder than it is now and many restaurants assumed that a runny omelette and a soggy lettuce leaf would have you leaping with joy.

Like crime in multi-storey buildings, wrong on many levels.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually cook my eggs over medium, ham, bacon, or sausage on the side. When I do make an omelet it's just ham and cheese and sometimes some onion.

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy, I always use smoked paprika on eggs because it's a healthy substitute for bacon flavors. It has Vitamins A and E, Iron, and Caratanoids. Plus, it adds a pungent flavor and a beautiful depth of color.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Omelettes and eggs are so-so with me. If I make an omelette its because there's nothing else in the house I want to bother with, and it will be cheesy. I'd actually prefer French toast,.

When in the hospital, I had spinach or tomato or mushroom or a mixture of veg and cheese in the omelettes and they were ok.

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, French Toast is also covered over in egg…so we'll just call it an omelette filled with cinnamon toast for this thread and you're good to go :).
    Yeah, a French Toast Omelette with a side of maple syrup. It's semantics :D You should market that and make $$

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

OK, I'll call them "Laramettes" frenchtoast.jpg

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, so many ideas of omelets (or omelette) that I see. I remember the omelet in Pancake House that I used to order - it was called the green omelet because of the spinach and asparagus inside. I'm not fond of green but when I sampled it, I was enamoured so it became my regular order. Unfortunately, they don't serve that anymore in that restaurant (it is like Denny's in style).

Another addition to our list of omelet is the potato. sliced in thin strips, the potato is marinated in soy sauce for 5 minutes then drained before frying. When almost cooked, that's the time to throw in the egg for a sizzling omelet. It goes well with rye bread.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I like omelets too. At our home I love tuna from the can Coral Tuna with my omelets. I add green onions and fry it up together. I like my omelets dryer and not runny at all. I add seasoning to taste like lemon pepper and garlic salt. With rice that we cook with lentils, black rice, brown rice and barley the tuna omelet is delicious. We have Vienna sausage with our omelets too. We cut the Vienna sausages up, mix with seasoning and green onions (we love green onions) then fry it up to non-runny consistency. Love omelets at our home! :)

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Corie, that addition of potato and soy sauce sounds really good!

Corie Henson likes this.