Omega Fatty Acids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The benefits of DHA and EPA are also tied to a lower risk of Type 2 diabetes, macular degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease. They also promote healthy eye and brain development in infants.
    There is no official recommended daily intake for DHA and EPA, but many international health authorities and expert scientific organizations advise healthy adults consume 250 to 500 milligrams each day.
    Based on cardiovascular research, many experts recommend 1,000 milligrams per day for people who have coronary heart disease, an amount supplied by eating 12 ounces of Atlantic salmon per week. Since omega-3 fats store in the body, it isn’t necessary to eat fish every day.
    This is from a Canadian newspaper.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-contains-the-most-nutrients/article28376378/
    A Doctor sued the FDA to get a health claim that omega 3 or a balanced of omega oils could reduce and prevent heart attacks from blood clots and stroke from blood clots and he won the case. He had the science to prove it. Why doctors don’t tell people is the question? .

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought they did tell their patients that. Some do anyway, mine does.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy you have a good doctor .
    Each year nearly 800,000 people experience a new or recurrent stroke.
    These people were not that lucky

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do have a wonderful dr. She's my age and very friendly and thorough. Nobody on my side of the family that I am aware of died of heart disease. My dad died of old age I guess. My moms death will be lung related. My maternal grandparents both died in the hospital. My grandmother from pneumonia she caught there and grandfather a blot clot in his leg that went to his lung. Both were in their late 80's. My father was 92 or 93.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My doctor tells me to eat healthy too and exercise too. I'm so glad for the information. Salmon is pricey on Oahu though, so I look for alternatives like tuna. My doctor says stay away from shrimp for it has too much LDL cholesterol so I try to stay away from my favorite shrimp dishes now.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Just seems nobody cares for liver! Highest proportion of many essential minerals per ounce of almost any other food. High in cholesterol, too. Nothing's perfect. My wife wouldn't even poke a piece of liver with a two-foot stick!

Frank

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I actually love liver. Least favorite is beef liver though. The best liver is goose liver but I only had that in Hungary.

My husband loved it too so I made it many times for him. He didn't die of clogged arteries though, or Heart attack, he died of colon cancer.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like liver, and so does Bobby, although we each like it cooked differently. Fresh liver is the best; but that is hard to come by, and I generally just buy the frozen slices at Kroger.
    That way, whenever we want liver, we just thaw a slice, cook and eat it. It is not my favorite meat; but I know that it is healthy for me, and it is good when it is cooked right; so it is something that I buy regularly.
    I also really like salmon, but Bobby likes tuna better; so again we buy cans of both, or the frozen salmon slices.
    Since neither one of us is a picky eater, it all gets cooked and eaten, one way or the other.

Shrimp is one of my most favorite seafoods, and it is a great supplier of natural iodine, so we have that whenever we can find it on sale. It is pretty expensive, so it is a luxury food for us.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Very revealing! I have a chart somewhere, I'll try to find it, comparing the nutritional qualities of liver to various other, completely unrelated foods. For example, liver has, ounce for ounce, more Vitamin C (!) than citrus fruit.

Krogers here is known as Smiths. Our friend back east drove truck for Kroger all his life. He was interested in seeing Smiths out West.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We don't have Kroger here and I've never heard of Smith's. I'll have to see what Kroger is in California. I think I did look once and it might have been Ralph's. When I moved here there was a Ralph's 3 blocks from me but it went out if business and Food 4 Less took its place.

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We like liver. Mostly we eat chicken liver, I like pork liver but it is hard to find. Calf liver is good but beef liver is tough to eat.

Mackerel and sardines are both a healthy as salmon. Canned mackerel is about half the price of pink salmon, just as healthy and just as tasty. Red Sockeye salmon is the most expensive. We usually keep all the above in our cupboard. Variety is good in all things.