Oldest Item You Own

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Patsy Faye, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

My oldest would be that I know of a 1745 penny I got from a lady for cutting her front lawn many years ago.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have various 'old' items but to guess which is the oldest I'd say an old dresser. I don't know how old it is only that it's past being vintage. It is very heavy and I love it. 4 wide and deep drawers at the bottom and two skinny drawers the have dividers in them at the top. The hardware is original but missing some of the pull handles. The mirror was and is still perfectly attached to the dresser on some kind of metal slots. It had to be lifted it up out of the slots when we dismantled it to haul it home.

I purchased it from a young lady's yard sale for $60 and someone tried to buy it from her while I went to an ATM then tried to buy it off of me. That was 18 years ago.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Great to read 'I love it' - how lovely :)

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love old furniture I used to restore it years ago when I was young and broke in my first marriage.. I'd buy from second hand furniture shops and do up kitchen chairs and drawers etc...being the daughter of a carpenter meant I knew a little of what I was doing.. Don't do that any more these days..but I still love to browse around antiques shops and second hand furniture stores.

@Von Jones is that you in your lovely avatar?...

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders, yes that's me and thank you. I purchased a selfie stick a while ago and finally decided to update many avatars on my survey sites. I'm still experimenting. This was the best of eight shots I took:rolleyes:. I have very subdued lighting in the house since I switched to the energy saving light bulbs. I even took the lampshades off and still wasn't any better. My next photo shoot will be outside on a sunny day.:D

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Well good for you..I would scare the life out of me taking a picture of myself, ..but you're very pretty, so I'll look forward to your sunny day pic... :)

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_0930.JPG
    The oldest things I own are a two of these plates that my Dad's Mom won at the Fair when she was about 15 years old. They gold in the border is 24k.

When my Grandmother died the two plates were given to my Mom and Dad. I always loved them so my Mom passed them to me. :) My grandmother was born in 1893.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh they do look like pretty old plates @Babs Hunt

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Not sure. I'm pretty sure a quilt I bought in a thrift shop for 15 dollars is before 1900.

@Chrissy Cross I like your living room. It looks comfortable.

@Ken Anderson cool coins. I have on my key ring for over 30 years the only Israeli phone token I had with me when I left Israel in 85. It's certainly showing wear.

10. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i have antique slate glass lamp from early 1900 that my step dad gave me --i have a shirley temple doll that i got when i was 9--i am pushing 85 so its old

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.