Old Truck Not Wanted Here!

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 9, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are going to try and survive with only one vehicle. We did for about a year when we first got to Colorado. Only had wife's Toyota 4-Runner then. Bought the truck, we just sold, right before I got hired at a Senior Healthcare Company in Denver. That was in April 2003.

We don't really want another vehicle, due to the expense of having two, but...…..who knows. If we both end up getting part-time jobs, most like a second vehicle will be needed. But, until that time comes. Will have our boat until the end of summer 2020 and then that will probably be sold. Just don't know if we will be physically able to launch/retrieve it on the trailer anymore. When the boat goes, will be the time we might get a Shih Tzu pup. Now, getting a dog we both like to see happen, but will have to see how the old finances do.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It actually went quite a bit smoother than I thought it was. I really didn't know how much he'd like the truck. Seeing pictures of a vehicle is much, much different than actually seeing the vehicle and driving it. But, it all worked out.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Congrats on the sale, Cody. It's good to get it over with so quickly.

A good set of tires must run $600. So my 2wd truck, with old tires, and a few dents, would be worth almost nothing. That's about what I figured. lol

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We didn't put the same All Terrain tires on, that were on before. Didn't see the necessity, being that it wasn't going to be driven in snow anymore (that we knew of).

Somehow, perhaps by looking at my 2018 Excel Spreadsheet I done of the complete brake system redone, tires, battery and starter, he figured the truck was worth $3,000. And, 99% of the other things on the truck worked.

We're just glad that we sold it and got the amount my wife really wanted for it.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

This morning we took pictures of one of my husband's cars to put up for sale....

Hopefully once he gets it online it won't take long to sell....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Went to our local DMV, which is actually called the Tax Collector's Office here, and surrendered the truck license plate/tag. Registered our Dodge Durango for 2019-2020. They gave us a new plate and tag. They do that here after 10 years of registering a vehicle or trailer. When we registered our boat trailer last January 2019, they gave us a new plate/tag for it.

Called our insurance company and told them that we had just "surrendered" the truck plate/tag. We will pay the insurance for both the Durango and the sold truck later this month, then, in June's insurance bill, the company will credit us the insurance payment we made for this month for the truck. Our insurance company will show on their computers that we cancelled the truck insurance on May 11th, the day we sold the truck.

Sure glad to get that part of our "getting ready" for our move over with!

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Why do they make you have new plates after 10 years Cody?...Here you have the same plates on your car until you sell it or junk it... or.. you can buy personal plates, which my husband has on his car ( I don't care about personal plates on mine) ..but when he sells his car he has to put the original plates back on...

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess it's a Florida thing. All I know is that last January, when we re-registered the truck, boat and trailer, they gave us a new plate/tag for both the truck and trailer. Did have a heck of a time getting the plate off of the boat trailer, because of rust/corrosion. When we re-registered the Durango this AM, they gave us a new plate/tag. Clerk told us that happens every 10 years here for any vehicle or trailer.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Anyway, we won't be in Colorado very long before we get a Colorado plate/tag for both the Durango and the boat trailer. They don't like seeing Florida plates there, just like Wyoming and Montana don't like seeing California plates there. Really!

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Why?....o_O

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Longtime residents to some cities get somewhat edgy when new residents move in. They don't want their area/city changed and they think that any new residents could do that. Heck, I don't know.

It's like, if a person moves from New York to some part of Southern California, the people in Southern California don't want to hear the people that moved there from New York tell them how much they miss New York. When I lived in Southern California, a bumper sticker came out saying "I love (a large red heart) NY". That bumper sticker wasn't liked at all. People in good old So Cal would say "if you like New York so much, go back!"

On the Relocation Forum I'm on, many folks in different cities will say that it's much better if a newcomer, not active military, to the state gets their plate changed to that state as soon as possible after moving there.

Actually, the law for Colorado states that new residents only have so many weeks to obtain a Colorado DL and transfer their vehicle registration to Colorado.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Well that doesn't happen here... how having a car that has a sticker on it from another part of the country could possibly have people believing that someone feels one place is better than another sounds ridiculous to me...

...that said we don't have to register our cars to the town, city or county where we live. if we buy a car in Scotland for example, it might have the Scottish Car dealers name on the plates, but the number plate remains the same if we bring it down to the south of England, or Wales or Northern Ireland... thanks for explaining Cody... but it sounds nuts to me...

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, believe me, it can be pretty nutting.

Actually, I've told this short story before, but will tell it here: I was up in Billings, Montana with my 1992 Datsun King Cab. Only there for a week. Now, I did have a California plate on the truck and the rodeo association membership sticker on the lower left of the front windshield. Was inside the Billings library doing some research on the computer. Came out of the library and found a note under my windshield wiper blade. It stated: "If you plan on staying in Montana, get a Montana plate. If not, get your a** back to California." Pretty obvious to me that the people in Billings didn't like seeing a California license plate.
    But, after watching the local news that night, I could somewhat understand. A dude, who had committed a murder in Palm Springs, California was captured at a weekly motel on the outskirts of Billings.

Well, I didn't want to get any more notes, and my business in Billings was done, so I left. However, if I would've decided to stay in Billings, I would have definitely transferred my truck registration to Montana and got a Montana DL.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes I remember you telling that story, but the person who wrote that note has serious issues IMO>... someone in Billings can commit a crime just as easy as anyone from anywhere else...

15. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Depends on where you are, what kind of people you meet and what kind of number plate you have but here in Ger. you can't just drive around anonymously as you probably can in the UK, can't you, Holly? Locals always check number plates. They may not always look askew at you if they see your number plate but many local drivers will immediately try to overtake you if you are in front of them because they generally suspect that you will slow them down because you may not know the place as well as they do. Navs in cars have not changed anything. When I was in west German states some people would kind of look down on me and would take me for a right-wing activist just because of my number plate.
    A car dealer's name if it reveals a certain location is often taped.

Last edited: May 14, 2019