Old Purse Windfall... Like A Lottery!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Mari North, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel as if I played the lottery this morning! My task for the first part of the morning was to clean out the collection of purses (handbag for @Holly Saunders , yes?) mostly from when I had an obsession with them a few years back.

WELL! I had this bad habit of just putting them away when I got a new one. Today I'm glad I did that! I found, among them, $402 in bills and a lot of change that I'm not even going to take time to count.

Anyone else collect bags? I looked for a fashion topic and didn't see one, so I chose money and finance 'cause it fits, too. To our men here, do you keep old wallets or toss them right away when replaced? And ladies... anyone else have a collection? :D

2. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Mari North wow, that's great! :)
    I always clean out purses/wallets. I did find $30 I'd put under a placemat and forgotten about.

Diane Lane, Mari North and K E Gordon like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a lot of purses, maybe I should look through ones I haven't used. I doubt I'll find as much as you did though.

I tend to know how much cash I have on hand and that would be an amount I'd be searching for like crazy. I have found a few dollars once in awhile. Most are filled with old purchase receipts and garbage and loose change. I hate change. That's why I prefer shopping with my debit card.

Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, that is super Marie, I usually find a collection of old receipts, loose change and hidden pens. I am missing a cellphone though...that seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe it will be found in an old purse or handbag!. I think I have looked everywhere else. Oh and yes, of course, there is the collection of pennies with gum on the and things like that..It can be a bit of a gross task to clean out an old purse sometimes!

Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

It doesn't surprise me that your purses are exactly like mine, @Chrissy Page :) .... the receipts, yes! A lot of the money was sticking inside of the receipts because I've used only cash for a few years now. I've also solved the problem of why I keep running out of pens... that's where they are!! No luck with missing socks, though!

I don't like change either... I have a gigantic popcorn tin filled with it, and I couldn't even pick it up now to take to the bank for conversion. Not sure why I didn't realize that would happen when I started it! :rolleyes:

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It happened to me 'once' found £20 ! Yippee !! :D
    I wish I had collected perfume bottles - they are so pretty. I daren't start now as we are in an apartment, so smaller than our house :p

K E Gordon, Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think my bank has a machine, you have to roll it yourself. I'll do that when I'm down to that being my only money.:)

Holly Saunders and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had that happen in the past, as well. I used to be quite the purse collector, but have since sold most of the ones I no longer use. When I was moving from my last place to this house, I paid the movers to pack up some of my items. During that move, my wallet went missing, and of course it was a pain to replace everything, but mainly, I missed the money I had in the wallet, which was about $420 that I'd gotten in cash to pay the movers. It took me forever to unpack all of the boxes, so it wasn't until several months later that I opened a box and there was my wallet. The movers had packed that up, along with the rest of my things. The cash came in handy, and I'd love to be able to find a stash like that right now.

K E Gordon likes this.
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Poor you Diane Lane. I think if I lost a wallet with 420 dollars in I would have heart failure. I am still trying to figure out where I spent 70 bucks..several weeks ago, I am praying it didn't just jump out of my wallet when I was buying something else, that would be just like me! Anyway, you would think I would be more careful with money, for somebody who has so little of it! I can assure you there will be no gold mine like 420 dollars in an old purse of mine.

10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon - Oh Karen - how awful for you
    I wonder if you have just had a 'senior moment' - I'm having a few lately, not funny and thinking............ thinking, - hurts me brain :oops:

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ugh @K E Gordon, I hope you find your money. I know, I never carry that much cash (or even have that much, these days), and I kept kicking myself about how I lost it, wasn't sure if the movers had stolen, it, etc., and was so happy when I came across the wallet finally, although I wasn't happy that the movers had been so careless to snatch things up willy nilly and toss them into boxes. At the end of the day, at least it was a positive ending. I came across a purse yesterday that I'd set aside, and I thought of this thread. I was hopeful that there'd be something in it, but it was empty :(.

Yvonne Smith and K E Gordon like this.