Odd Eating Habits

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Raw vegetables have become more acceptable now, in salads or served with dips, but eating them raw was considered odd when I was a child. I wanted to eat all my vegetables raw rather than having them cooked. I think my mother was just pleased that I would eat fresh vegetables, so she would often prepare a side dish just for me, of shredded raw cabbage, fresh peas or sliced onion.

I still like munching on raw carrots, onions and other vegetables, but it's not considered so odd now as it was back then.

Another thing I did involved swamping everything I ate in tomato ketchup, but that was just a passing phase

Do you have, or did you have any odd eating habits?

Richard Paradon likes this.
  2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not odd to me, but most people look at me strange when I say. I use very little salt on most food. I cut back about 20 years ago when I wanted to lose weight and I found that I actually enjoyed the taste of the food better without salt. It took a little while to get used to it, but now, especially with veggies, each one has a unique, subtle flavor. When you sprinkle salt on them, they all taste the same. I like enjoying each separate flavor. I also don't use much salt on meat - maybe a little mixed seasonings, but that's all. Again, when you use salt - it just tastes like salt.

There are a few exceptions to this - notably potatoes, beans and soup - they need quite a bit of salt for some reason.

@Ruth Belena, you are actually a trend-setter. There's a whole new "raw" diet approach where people try not to cook anything - they claim cooking foods leaches the nutritional value out of it.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Since my dentures are not fond of chewing I prefer my vegetables cooked. But I have always enjoyed them that way. I guess my only oddity which I mentioned somewhere is that I use a fork and knife for almost everything. Pizza as well. Don't like sticky fingers.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I definitely eat very weird compared to what some people might eat. I do eat quite a bit of pizza, I never get tired of that. But overall most of my food choices are very weird to most, and pretty repetitive. I drink 12oz of milk every morning, I have nuts or oats with fresh or dried fruit. I eat only organics, root vegetables are a favorite, lots of salads in the summertime. I am not vegan, but eat little meat. I do not eat junk foods, I stopped eating all prepared or canned foods. I avoid frozen foods short of peas. I make all my own dressings, gravy's and marinades.

Sometimes I totally lose it and have to have cookies, usually biscotti or I will have jags where it is all about popcorn or grilled cheese sandwiches. I always figured this was more about something being deficient in the diet then just want or comfort food. I find I tend to eat one food at a time, you know when you have three things on your dinner plate? i will eat all the veggies, then the potato then the meat. I mark that off as a learned behavior. I really do not care to much for ice cream, if I do have it, it will be chocolate or any variation of chocolate unless there is spumoni which is pretty rare these days. I do not drink alcohol as a rule, but if I did it would be something like a pina colada. I have stopped drinking soda and prefer ice water or tea.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not a vegan but I eat mostly nuts, fruits and vegetable. One food that I really like is beans and rice.

6. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I eat some combinations that people may consider odd, like I love eating dark chocolate with cheese. I also love salt. I know it's bad for my health so I'm trying to cut back but I used to like to put a lot on everything - I even enjoy eating it on it's own on a little teaspoon.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Howdy Richard! One tip I might give you that I have used for a lot of years. If you simmer your vegies in water or chicken stock you can save the pot liquer after the vegies have been consumed and then drink the juice while it is still warm. I like to add a little extra pepper to it and maybe some hot sauce to spice things up and also a tad bit of butter. What nutrients you might have lost in the cooking process you have gotten back in the pot liquer. Even better is the fact that your body doesn't have to work at all to use the nutrients in the liquid. It's great tasting too!

Just to clarify things for the folks who do not understand the term "pot liquer." No, it is not a pint of scotch and a dooby. It is the liquid left over after cooking food. Any liquid that is left after the preparation of literally any meat or vegetable can be repurposed and used in sauces, drinks, (as described above) or stocks.

8. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Bobby! I use the "pot Liquer) - love that term, often for soup stock but have never tried drinking it. I will definitely try it the next time!