Occupational Testing

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in the 8th. grade, we were administered a series of "tests" named "Kuder Occupational Test". They were aimed at determining, through suitable questioning, some of which seemed laughable, what career interests each of us might be best suited for. The information gotten was to be used as guidance material for suitable high school courses. I'm wondering if any of you recall taking it, or what scores you obtained in the various vocational categories.

"The Kuder Occupational Interest Survey ("The Kuder") is a self-report vocational interest test used for vocational guidance and counseling. It originated in the work of G. Frederic Kuder who first began publishing on the instrument in 1939. The Kuder is often compared to other vocational interest tests, such as The Strong Interest Inventory. Whereas the Strong compares the interests of the person to those of certain groups of people holding certain occupations, the Kuder focuses on measuring the person's broad areas of interest. Thus, the Kuder will yield the person's scores along ten vocational interest scales:
    • Outdoor,
    • Mechanical,
    • Clerical,
    • Computational,
    • Scientific,
    • Literary,
    • Social Service,
    • Persuasive,
    • Artistic, and
    • Musical. "
    I remember very vividly that I scored lower than the "basement" in Musical, Social Service, and low in Artistic. Very high in the others, especially Outdoor. That same year I proved my technically heavy interests by nearly blowing my damn fool self up!

Frank

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Frank, I have been waging a low-key campaign to change the way public schools are organized here. I may have posted on it before, but I would like to have "tracks" like we had when I was growing up and allow the kids to pick their interests rather than assuming everyone wants to go to "college".

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I took an occupational test back in the 1970s when I applied to take some courses at Fullerton College. As I remember, I think it was supposed to test aptitude rather than interest, though. It returned a two--page list of occupations, sorted from the things I was most suited for to those I was least suited for. Down there, near the bottom, was what I was being paid a couple of thousand dollars a week to do. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it though. Teaching and social services were near the top.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only aptitude / vocational test (sans IQ tests) I took was the GT test when I first applied to enter into the military back in '67. The scores revealed what category I could choose from but not necessarily which Job in the category.
    As it stood, my score said I could choose from any category but the job was limited to past experience. I wanted to work in the Nike missile program but my electronics background was limited so I had to choose something that would give me that experience.

Man, that recruiter sure was a good salesman! He talked me into the field wireman course which included wire, radios, crypto and climbing poles but it didn't do much for any great experience in electronics. I later had to re-up for a 1 year short in order to choose another electronics school but even after graduating at the top of my class, I still wound up as a door gunner in the Nam for 9 months and then it took being wounded in order to start working in aircraft electronics.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I understand that you don't always get what you're promised. My younger brother joined with our cousin while they had the "buddy program." He never saw him again after basic training. In fact, probably never, because our cousin moved to Arizona after leaving the Army.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't have to take any occupational tests. After middle school I didn't know what to do. Finally I trained as a grease monkey which took two years of theoretical and practical training at a vocational school. At the end there was a final oral and written exam. In the oral I got grade F and for the final paper I got grade D-. I can't remember if there was a final certification project as well. Then I had to join the army.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Over here...and in many other places now they have Charter Schools which focus mainly on one field of interest such as Art, Medicine, Business, etc. I don't know if the students have to take any tests to see whether they can go to a specific Charter school because the tests show that's where their "gifts" are but they do have to apply for entrance to the Charter school of interest and there are only so many slots available. I have no real idea whether these Charter schools are well organized and preparing the students attending them for their field of interest but I am glad to see some changes taking place like this.

8. Ken Anderson

Some charter schools are very good, others not so good, which shouldn't be surprising. Largely, a charter is simply allowed the freedom to ignore some of the stuff that doesn't work well within the government school framework. So if the school is well planned and well managed, it can be good. Usually, students do have to qualify in order to be admitted to a specialized charter school. Those with high aptitudes in science and mathematics might qualify for a charter school that is based on these subjects.