Occasional Wildflower Gardener

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

I say that I'm an occasional wildflower gardener because I do keep a small, shaded rock garden where I plant or transplant wildflowers. However, I tend to neglect it, especially when it gets really hot in the summer months. However, when I do get out there I enjoy working on it.

My favorite flowers have always been the wild ones. I have some low growers, like violets and bluebells in there, and some of my taller wildflowers include asters, bachelor's buttons, joe pie weed, orange milk weed, daisies and black eyed susans.

I would like to get some other flowers in there. Something a little different maybe, but I"m not sure what yet. All of the above are natural to this area except the bachelor's buttons and joe pie weed, which I grew from seed. The milkweed has been transplanted. A lot of the violets were already there.

Are there other wildflower enthusiasts here?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have several acres in two separate fields that my wife won't let me mow until the wild flowers have bloomed and gone to seed.

Yvonne Smith and Diana Kristof like this.
  3. Diana Kristof

Registered

I don't blame her! They are just beautiful. I can remember as a child that one of my favorite parts of going on a road trip was seeing all the different wildflowers along the sides of the road. Red poppies and California poppies were ones that I remember seeing a lot growing along the highway.

Do you farm those fields? My dad had a field that just sat there mainly for years. We had horses when I was very little, and they used to graze there, but for most of my growing up years it mainly just sat there and "looked pretty." ;)

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

No, we don't farm those. We do a lot of gardening and our yard is filled with flowers but the rest of our property is mostly left for the wild life

Diana Kristof likes this.
  5. Diana Kristof

Registered

I like that! I enjoy watching wildlife, and sometimes the best place to see deer or foxes is out the side window here when the grass is tall and it's early morning when they don't know anyone is watching. We had a fox and kits for several years, but we did not see them this spring. I was kind of sad. Groundhogs have actually taken over the hole!

What kind of wildlife do you see a lot of?