Number Pleaz...

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Bobby Cole, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are often times in any given day when I realize that it is NOT the whole world that is going crazy but just one individual, namely .......me. It must be true for it seems that at least once a day I am found lacking anything to say for a moment or two and must collect my thoughts in order to make sense of things but still have no clue as to how to manage to answer some questions. Today, it was about the use of a phone.

I was asked to do a little side work, namely replace a few shingles on someone's roof. It is a simple roof with a very slight pitch as compared to most in this neighborhood so "no worries", thought I.
    I placed the ladder against the edge of the roof and started to climb the ladder when I noticed one of the ladies who lives in the home standing near by. Without saying hello, she asked me, "do you have your phone with you"? My brain instantly went into some weird gear bent on the past because all I could picture is a guy with a nail belt on, climbing up a ladder and in tow had a dial up telephone with a hundred foot extension.

Finally coming to grips with the modern day cell phone, I told her that I wasn't at all worried because if I fell through the roof she would undoubtedly use her own phone to call whoever. Moreover, I told her that if I fell off of the roof I would not have time to call my wife before I went the 12 or so feet before impacting the earth.

All the time I am saying this though, my brain kept flashing back to the good old operators we used to have in a time now forgotten who's practiced phrase of "number Pleaz" still rings in my mind. And, if that were not enough, in my same mind, the operator was saying that whilst this person was dropping toward the earth in slow motion frantically trying to call for help on the dern cell phone.

With the roof finished and now I am sitting at home (as opposed to sitting on the roof) writing this, I am still wondering what in the heck would I need a cell phone for on the top of that roof? Perhaps order take-out, or get a YouTube production on how to pound nails, or ...................

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I say for the YouTube video or for a selfie(a roof one is good). :)

Although not your case but someone could be working on a roof of an empty house and fall and if nobody knows where he went, he could be lying there a long time in pain and agony.

With the iPhone Yvonne could track you down when you didn't come home!

I will always come up with reasons for our great modern technology.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps there might be a use for a cell phone on top of a roof but for me taking a "selfie" would not be on my list.
    I have no problem knowing what I look like without a constant reminder in the form of a photograph, although there was a time when I listened to Timothy Leary a little too much and I somehow lost my identity but that was a very, long, long time ago

Let's see, I am not sure if my wife could find me if I did not report home on time for even right now, my iPad believes that I am about 3 blocks over in another neighborhood so she'll just have to trust me to be safe.

There is ONE thing I can readily think of that a cell phone might be of good use on a roof and that would be to see if it is aerodynamically designed to glide when I throw it off.

Please do understand Chrissy, I hate cell phones. Especially those that somehow find themselves being of use by someone needing to play a game while occupying the only stall in a public restroom.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well when you put it like that...I understand. Especially the game player in the stall. :)

6. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

The neighbor has no doubt watched to many movies where the guy on the roof falls through or loses his ladder. Otherwise unless your still awake after falling a cell phone would not help your situation. And with Murphy's Law of Averages, you would break your landing on that cell phone. lol

Bobby Cole and Ina I. Wonder like this.