Now It's A Buck A Quart!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gas stations in my High Desert town of Apple Valley are now getting $4 per gallon for regular and more for high octane.

This is 20 TIMES what I paid for gas when I first started driving in 1952!

At 20 cents a gallon, I could buy enough gas to take me to school all week in my '36 Ford just from pocket change in my Levis.

Hal

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

try moving to the UK... we're priced at per litre.. 5 litres in a gallon... at our local garage it's £1.32 per litre.. $1.73 US, at the current exchange rate...

so a Gallon of super leaded is £6.60 ... sterling... or $8.66 US dollars

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A US gallon is less than a UK (Imperial) gallon though :

The U.S. liquid gallon is defined as 231 cubic inches and equates to approximately 3.785 litres. One imperial gallon is equivalent to approximately 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons

1 gal ( gallon liquid US ) unit equals = 6.66 pt Imperial ( pint U.K. )

So at UK prices a US gallon would be £5.50 - $6.26

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And it may be even worse! Maybe a gallon of gas isn't really a gallon anymore. :( Like a gallon of paint isn't. And ice cream isn't. :p ;)

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey, Hal...…...your Thread here was posted twice. Just to let you know.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

regardless, Terry, it's still a good 50% more expensive...

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yeah? Well thanks.

Hal

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

You’re a bit older than I, but in ‘62 I was paid $1.35 an hour and thought I was rich when I got a raise to $1.50.
    Even in the military I cleared $63.81 a month until I hit E-2 and then I received a whopping $65.51. (Compare to today’s E-1 who receives around $1,500.00 per month)
    I believe that in ‘62, cigarettes were around .35 cents a pack and if I remember correctly, “ethyl” gas was .50 a gallon and a person could by a fantastic home for less than 20K.

Granted, as a pensioner we have to recognize that the prices are going to go up but our bank accounts are steadily being drained instead of increasing. But, for the everyday guy in the work force, the increase in gas and other commodities are pretty much in line with how much they make on the average.

Oh yeah, Levi’s. I was able to buy my first pair (from money I earned) in 1959 and cost me $6.00.

Yeah, I know I’m a young puppy in comparison but hey, somebody had to be born in 1950 so it might as well be me. :)

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL well your old compared to me Bobby...I doubt that makes you feel any better ..:oops::D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Member
    Registered

Well Holly, I wouldn't mind paying additional taxes on my fuel if we got what you are getting. Universal Health Care,subsidized secondary education and much much more. But of course us Harry Chested he man Muricanz are so scared of the big S word that we will cut our own throats to avoid it.

Terry Page and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

In 1948, my Dad bought a 2 bedroom 1200 sq. ft. house for $4500, and he also took the vacant lot next door for another $1000.

Hal

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders

Regarding the exchange rate, when I went to Europe in 1972, the British Pound was equivalent in strength to well over 4 U.S. Dollars! The Canadian rate has also dived over the years. The "cages" here post daily the rates, since there are many foreign tourists here. Canadian Dollar recently has been as low as $ 0.70 USD.

Still, foggy concepts in my mind..........

Frank

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes I remember as a teen many people taking advantage of holidays in the USA due to the amazing exchange rate... no longer sadly...

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Incredible to think of that now isn't it?... a 2 bedroom house around these parts costs over £300,000 and only the land that it sits on... anything more like an acre or 2 , but no more than that would cost up to and over a million and a half.... that's just this area where I live in the rural edge north of London... In the city the property is eye wateringly expensive..

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

We don't get those things out of the Fuel duty...

The price of healthcare , and schooling is not ''free'' the cost is taken from our salaries at source...

16. Bobby Cole

Registered

I was so hoping that one of you across the pond would bring some light to the subject and voila, here comes Holly! :)
    Thank you because if I had written anything then I fear a political battle would be coming along shortly thereafter.

Would I be correct by saying that the fuel duty only pays for the roads and highways and the maintenance of them?
    Here, the fuel is taxed by the county, the state and the federal government and it’s supposed to pay for the roadway infrastructure.

17. Holly Saunders

Registered

NO Bobby unfortunately it's not used for that, it' what they laughingly call a 'users' fee....

We pay annual road fund tax ( vehicle Excise duty) on our cars..dependent on how clean or green your car is, and the size.. the more or less you pay. I have a small car just 1.4ltr engine, runs on unleaded fuel, and my road fund tas x is £130 per year, so you can see that much bigger and less green engines ( especially diesel) would be much more expensive annually The road fund tax is the one which is supposed to pay the maintenance of highways etc.... Now until recently we've always prided ourselves on having good highway structure, , and given the high road fund tax, so we should, but our road have now , in the last 2 or 3 years sunk into major disrepair, pot holes big enough to sink a family car , flooding etc, and nothing done to repair them, despite the the approx £40 billion pounds received by the government in road tax fees every year...

here's a little bit about that...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoring_taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom

Bobby Cole likes this.
  18. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Member
    Registered

Our fuel taxes are SUPPOSED to be dedicated to roads and highways. Actually it is all thrown in to the general fund and siphoned of in bits and pieces for non related projects.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  19. Holly Saunders

Registered

20. Bobby Cole

Registered

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxana...rk-because-politicians-broke-it/#468ddfb46bf1

I thought there was a glitch in your statement so I had to look it up.
    According to Forbes, some of the general fund is actually funneled into the Highway Trust fund to keep it going.