'nother Huntin Story

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ike Willis, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

During my mostly misspent years in the late 1960's, I owned an old 1946 Dodge pickup truck, just like the one below. It was my work and hunting/fishing truck.
    One winter, the weather had been pretty mild, with very little snow. A hunting pal and I were out after bunnies. On this particular day, the ground was frozen but there was barely an inch of snow cover. Stopping by a likely looking field dotted with patches of cover, we were about to dismount and do a quick walk through. There was an open gate to the field just off the dirt road we were on. As I was pulling in to park, my pal made a suggestion. "Why don't I just get in the back while you drive back and forth over this field? Beats all the walking". That sounded like a good plan, though illegal as h***.
    So, Clyde got in the back, loaded his shotgun, and I slowly drove back and forth across the field. Clyde was getting some good shooting. When we finished this field, we drove about looking for another field that was isolated and out of sight to any houses. Finding one, I took my turn in the back, riding shotgun, so to speak.
    Somewhere in mid field, the old Dodge sputtered to a halt. As Clyde tried to restart it, I climbed out of the back, knowing what was wrong. The gas gauge never had worked. Most likely, we were out of gas.
    So, Clyde stayed with the truck and our guns while I walked across the field and down the road, to the nearest house, about a mile or more away.
    When I explained our situation to the farmer, he wasn't too happy. I stood there and took his verbal dressing down, at the end of which he agreed to sell me some gas and give me a ride back to my truck. We agreed I would pay him $5 for a gallon of gas.
    After pouring the gas in my tank, the farmer asked for another $5. What for, I wanted to know. For the ride back here, was his answer. Seeing all the bunnies in the back only gave him more ideas. Yes, we were over our limit. Yes, he could have all the rabbits if he didn't turn us in.
    On the way home, Clyde and I stopped at a roadside bar in a small farm town, after gassing up the truck. When we left there, it was dark out. Arriving home, I had to put up with my wife's tirade. "Where were you? Don't tell me you were hunting. I know what that Clyde's like. If you were hunting, where's the game? You been drinking". She just went on and on like that.
    205607_11525375_1946_Dodge_Pickup.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wives are like that, Ike. :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

drinking .... well, you did stop at a roadside bar..:p

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Ike, that sounds an awful lot like one of my Cousin LeeRoy and his brother, BillyBob stories. They wuz some huntin' fools. :D

Ike Willis likes this.