Notebook Size Laptop

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Patsy Faye, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Way to go, ask those questions;) Sometimes you actually get someone in electronics that knows electronics, it can happen, LOL!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That depends on how much you are using it, and the programs you are using it for, @Patsy Faye . Like any other battery, the more is asked of it, the faster it will discharge.
    I listen to motivational apps and healing apps at night when I go to bed. I was using my cell phone for this with headphones, and sell my older iPad. Instead, I am using the older iPad to listen at night, and I only need to charge it up once a week, or even less.
    However, My new iPad Pro, I am using constantly, all day long, and I listen to youtube videos, and do things that can run the battery down faster. Bobby also uses his all day long, and then watches movies all evening; so he has to charge his each night, too.
    It is not an issue, in any case.
    I have an extension cord by my chair, so if I want to charge it while I am using it, I can easily plug it in and let it charge; but mostly, we just plug them in when we go to bed, and the next morning , they are good to go for another day.

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope that's the case as I will only use it for the forum
    As I said, my kindle goes down even though I've not used it, so I hope its not like that :p

@Yvonne Smith

Denise Evans and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My iPad will eventually drain the battery even when not in use but don't know how many days it takes, cause I use it every day.

I do have a very long charging cable...think it's the longest they sell and when I see I'm getting low, I plug it in.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

I guess my Kindle goes down, too; but I have left it for at least a week at a time and it still had power. When I read in the evening with it, I charge it up about twice a week. I think that over time, any battery will discharge somewhat, even with no usage.
    Is plugging it in an issue, Patsy ?
    If you are only using the tablet for simple things like being on the forum, then you should get several days worth of battery as well. Most tablets are good for 6-8 hours of use, which would contain watching videos, and listening to music, as well as just being on the internet.
    I hardly notice the difference of whether I have the iPad plugged in or not as long as I am just sitting here typing with it on the lap desk like a laptop; but when I am using it for drawing and moving it around, then I prefer no cords.
    Here is another review that shows more about the capabilities of the Surface tablet, especially for drawing. It also can use a Surface pencil like my iPad does with the Apple Pencil.
    There are a lot of online information and tutorial videos about the different tablets (or laptops); so , for me, that is how I usually check things out.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

Are you sure you're completely shutting down you Kindle Patsy? How old is the battery? And last, are you letting it fully charge, like overnight? I haven't ever had a battery go dead on any of my devices while they were shut down, but maybe they would eventually give out if I didn't use it for really, long periods??

Another thing, if you only will use it for the forum, probably where you type the most, you maybe have no real need for a separate keyboard, or a big full-service laptop/computer. The Ipad, or another type of tablet might suit you best. One thing about buying the same type as some friends have, gives you a lot of help in becoming familiar with your new toy;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Denise Happyfeet - yea, I need a separate keyboard and I think me Kindle has a mind of its own :p
    @Yvonne Smith - maybe I will get more than a day of use then - only time will tell :)

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Not too far from the "near future" Patsy, computers w/minds of their own:p I hope mine will have a sense of humor, LOL!

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

FWIW, my wife's ChromeBook gets hot. So much so, that sitting with it on her lap is uncomfortable even now during cold weather, ewhen the house remains 10-20 degrees cooler than summer. She got a stiff insulating pad for use underneath it. I think, but don't know for sure, that it still uses a hard drive, which generates heat. Anyone know about that?
    Frank

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

yes, get her a pad something like this. You have to allow the air-flow from the vents in the laptop Frank, or it overheats.

[​IMG]

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Went to get me mini laptop this morning, no stock ! Couldn't even see it
    There was another one that is cheaper and I liked it .................out of stock !
    I will have to order online, so won't be till next week now :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Well, at least you are getting closer to having a new one, Patsy. I am sure that you will love it when you have the new smaller one that you can use in your comfortable chair. Keep us updated on the progress of getting the new one.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just ordered it, what a palava - wouldn't accept me sign in details although they were already imprinted
    Had to find the details, tried it, no good - 3rd time lucky, I got in !
    Its done !!! :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Awesome ! So.......tell us........what kind did you order ? I am all excited to hear the details , Patsy. Can you post a picture or a link of what you are getting ?
    So happy for you, Girl ! !

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Its an Acer - An Acer was my first computer and I shed a tear when it packed up, so I'm happy to get another
    It has lovely soft keys with no gaps. It is an 11.6 screen and looked big enough for me
    I will try to get the picture :)