Not So New Hobby

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Von Jones, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Often when I go on my thrifting ventures I find things that I would be interested in pursuing as a hobby and one of them is learning how to utilize the programs on my computer to record music instead of downloading and to make movie videos on DVD. So I would find items that would be needed.

So I finally have the time to envelop myself in this not so new hobby and my first project was a movie video for my DIL for Mother's Day entitled 'Our time with Grandma Von'.

It included stills and short video clips of the children that I had accumulated over the years. Some things that I learned from this first project was how time consuming it was for me. Getting to know the how-tos for the most part.

I thought about my next project and what I could do different. I wanted to add music and transitional effects. This opportunity came around this past weekend at a family cookout. Project entitled 'Closer to Home 2017' for my son who was unable to make it.

This was a lot easier for me but I hadn't prepared myself equipment wise to video and take pictures throughout the cookout. My phone died and my memory reached its limit before everyone arrived. I didn't fret over it though as I started the project.

I learned where and how to add the transitional effects at certain points in the video. I also added text to help tell my son what was going on. Adding the music came last. I had several still photos of each family of me and my two sisters. The light bulb lit up - this is the point to add music. So the music played while the photos faded in and out it was really neat to see.

I feel a bit more confident now and can see myself being more creative on my next project.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a DVD my daughter gave me one Mother's Day. It's photos and music...it always make me cry when I look at it.

She picked the photos and the music but had it done professionally.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones - this is such a great hobby Von
    Fabs and I used to do the same for family members and neighbours, simply because we enjoyed the process
    We would choose a suitable piece of music then 'add' the pictures to the music
    Works really well, like a music video :)
    Following this, we wrote our own music to put animal clips too, mainly African wildlife and a couple on bird life
    They turned out real well :)

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I like that, Patsy! The fact that the two of you enjoyed something together and it's something that also made others happy.

Also @Von Jones ....glad you found this and you enjoy it and are learning as you go. I think this type of gift to anyone is appreciated the most.

Von Jones and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When my Honey and I lived in Jacksonville, FL and all my children and grandchildren were still here in Louisiana my oldest daughter made me a DVD of all of them at Christmas time set to the background music of "A Wonderful World"...I cried tears of joy then and even now when I rewatch this DVD...and it was one of the best presents I have ever received. :)

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

All I can say about this Thread.........sure must be nice to have family that gets along. Kidding, in a way and in another, serious.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm very lucky with my family, Cody but it does take some work sometimes. There are times and situations when I'm not happy about something but I still love them all no matter what and we work it out or I know when to keep my mouth shut.

Of course it's all easier when you have a great family to start with.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I find that when you just accept each other for who you are...warts and all :) it is much easier to get along.

By the way Cody how is your brother-in-law doing?

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Seemed like we all got along when we lived in So. California and wife's mom was still alive. Since we've moved, we get along, but nearly as good as we did when we lived there. Most of my side of the family have passed away. My 1/2 brother and I get along, but our lifestyles are so, so different, let alone our personalities. We talk once in a while on the phone, but that's it.

And, btw, with "keep my mouth shut", has to take a lot from me to do that. Sometimes my wife gets on me at how I talk to her sister. I love teasing her.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, sometimes it's hard to keep your mouth shut but it's usually the smart thing to do...at least when it comes to son in laws and daughter in laws.

Ive been the perfect mother in law...