North And South Korea Make Up

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Holly Saunders, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime. of course one can't help thinking there's an agenda but for the moment, I'm delighted...

Kim Jong-un becomes the first North Korean dictator to cross into the South for 65 years, shakes hands with sworn enemy President Moon Jae-in and vows to stop 'interrupting his sleep' with missiles

Kim Jong-un has become the first North Korean leader to step into the South for 65 years as he met with President Moon Jae-in for a historic peace summit on Friday.

The two sworn enemies exchanged a warm greeting at the 38th parallel in the truce village of Panmunjom before Moon led Kim by the hand to cross into the South for the first time ever.

It comes following a year in which North Korea, the South and the US traded increasingly bellicose rhetoric about nuclear war amid a series of atomic tests by Kim's regime, but then dramatically softened their stances in the last few months.

The leaders kept up their friendly demeanor even during the official talks inside the Peace House pavilion, with Kim joking to Moon that he would 'stop interrupting his sleep' with constant missile tests.

Moon is expected to push for headway on the North's aggressive nuclear ambitions ahead of a planned summit in several weeks between Kim and US President Donald Trump.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5662577/Kim-Jong-prepares-walk-history-Korean-summit.html

Chrissy Cross and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I, along with millions of other people do hope that the war will end soon and with all the parties involved satisfied with the outcome.
    But I am very hesitant to celebrate at least, until the smoke and mirrors have been put away and there is some distance of time between the agreement and an appearance of real progress.
    There have been other peace promising agreements in the past throughout the years following 1953 but all have come to some sort of impasse whereby parts of the diplomatic accord have failed miserably.

Some blame the U.S., some blame South Korea, some blame the whole of the U.N. and some of course blame North Korea for the failings but maybe this time they can put away the blame game and look toward the future with honesty and some sort of harmony in sight.
    When the leaders put away their sabers and look at their own people and show some concern for them and not on their own personal vanities, then I will believe that all will be well.

Until then, my prayers are that everyone involved is filled with wisdom and peace of mind.....................

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Some rather well-informed commentators said that Trump used Kim's tactics against him. Kim's MO was to push everyone to the brink of disaster in hopes the West would back down. Up until Trump, we always did. Trump pushed back and took North Korea to the brink of disaster. Kim then had to figure a way out. This might be a sincere effort to join the community of notions, or it might be another way to manipulate the West for more concessions. Only time will tell. It appears that the new Secretary of State, Mr. Pompeo, in not one to back down from confrontation.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Just watched the news on this and I did feel happy until they said this had happened a couple of times before
    I hope Kim will 'see' being happy with your neighbours is so much better than the misery of war

5. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe this is just another of Kim's mind-games and the plan is to ultimately gain control of South Koreas missiles.
    I find it highly suspicious also that suddenly the voices of Russia and China have gone quiet.
    Softly,softly...

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

That may be, but Trump thanked China for its role in the process, so they may be working behind the scenes. Angela Merkel likened it to the Berlin Wall coming down, and commented on the strength of the American President after her discussions with him at the White House. If the media were not so vehemently anti-Trump this entire thing would be lauded as a great accomplishment.

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see why it wouldn't be reasonable to postpone the military exercise to a later date.