Nook

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Denise Evans, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Just plain Nook is what I have right now, but planning on the new 7" Nook Tablet.

My Nook is simply listed in "about my Nook" as:

Version 1.4.3
    Model BNTV250A

Does anyone know, or maybe fixed there older Nook, sort of upgraded it because I can no longer get Overdrive App, and no Apps are supported in this Nook from now on. The newer Nooks evidently get Google Play etc.

Any help or knowledge appreciated, Denise

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet , apparently nobody else knows any more about how to update a Nook than I do. I hope you can find help. Have you tried Googling the answer?

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

thanks Shirley, I think I found some things that will help;)

I'm not going to try and upgrade it, or "root" it which I'm not sure what all that entails. I'm just going to use it as is, and then get a new Nook Tablet 7 for myself. I bought one for my sis for christmas;) but mine still is in such good shape, I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

This one just doesn't get Overdrive anymore, not working right anyway, and I have to use Adobe Digital Editions to get my library2go books;)

Thanks again;) denise

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This will not help you with updating the Nook, @Denise Happyfeet , but it is a suggestion for getting more free books. I don't know whether you already use Bookbub or not, but if you do not have that, there are lots of free and cheap books on there. Once you sign up, Bookbub sends you an email every day with new books that you are interested in. When you register, you fill out the information about the kinds of books you enjoy reading, and you can change the information as often as you want to do that. At first, I was getting WAY too many suggestions, and so I narrowed the list down to where I only get about 5-6 each day, and usually at least one of those is free. If you choose broader parameters, then you would have more options each day.
    Also, if you just go to the Kindle store, put in what kind of book you want (Cozy mysteries, for example), and then sort by price, low to high, you will get all of the free books in that catagory first.
    Every day, Amazon puts some different books on sale for free, so if you check back often, you will get new selections of free books.
    These are not borrowed books, so you can have as many as you want and not have to worry about returning them.
    Hopefully, this will help you to get more free books until you get a new tablet.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not that difficult to root a Nook @Denise Happyfeet I did all the ones my family had (about 6) back when they were very popular 2013?....they have all moved on to iPads now so there are several redundant ones lying around, which need to be sold on eBay really.
    I can't afford Apple products because all my cash goes on travelling ;) so I still use mine sometimes plus my current Hudl which I mentioned elsewhere here.
    The Amazon Fire tablets are probably the cheapest way to get a reasonable android tablet...which you can update and get rid of the Amazon adds and restrictions if you want without rooting LINK

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. I hope it's o.k. to toss a question in here rather than start a new thread:
    Nooks, Kindles, etc.- are they interchangeable? I mean if you buy an e-book from one place, do you have to use their product or can you read it on any product?

7. Yvonne Smith

I do not know how it would work on Nooks; but when I get an e-book from Amazon, I can use the Kindle app and read the book on my ipad, iphone, or the Kindle. It also knows which page I left off with, and will go to the new page. For example, I am reading the book on my Kindle, which is where I usually read books from. Then, we go somewhere and have to sit and wait; so I decide to read it on my iphone, and the book will automatically open to the page I was last reading on the Kindle.
    When I get back home again and go back to reading the book on the Kindle, it now starts at the page where I left off when I was reading on the iphone.
    As long as I use the Kindle app, I can read any book that came from Amazon on any device that I want to use.
    If the Nook is able to download the Kindle app, too, then you should be able to interchange between the Nook and the Kindle if you wanted to do that for some reason.

Janice Martin likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Must "Bow Out". No idea what this is about, but cannot claim to be aware of today's technology, either. I try to "temper" my understanding of it by "reading into" what can it do for me. APPS? No idea at all.

I buy on line. Converse on line. Have friends on line (though damn few). Learn on line. My wife has sold on line. But beyond those, all the new stuff beleaguers me. Frank

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

The word "app" is short for application, @Frank Sanoica . It is a program that you download onto your tablet or smartphone, and some computers also take apps. It would be similar to the old style way of using a CD to add a program that you wanted to run in the computer, except no CD is needed anymore.
    There are apps for just about anything. I have one that tracks my steps and my sleep, one that counts carbs, and shopping apps from places like Walmart and Kroger. Architects can use blueprint apps. People that play games can download gaming apps, and so on.

What the topic is about on this thread is reading apps, like Kindle.
    When you purchase an eBook from Amazon, then it will download onto the Kindle app and you use this app to read the book. You can download the app on any smartphone, tablet, computer or laptop,and then you can read your downloaded book from any of these devices that you want to use.
    Even though I really like having a regular book to read, I have come to enjoy reading with my Kindle.
    It is as small and lightweight as most paperback books, and it can hold hundreds (or maybe thousands ?) of books, so you can have your whole library on one tiny device.
    New Kindles are under $50, and used ones can be much cheaper, and work fine, too.
    There are so many free books on Amazon that it is easy to find books on just about everything that you want to study or read about.
    Hopefully, this will help you with your understanding of what an app is and what they can have the potential to do for a person.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Yvonne said it all, or most of it;) I just wanted to add that on a reader you can save all those ebooks, but since I never read a book twice, I have 116 books on there I'm done with. I would like to at least share them with others, but there are copyright issues. If anyone can tell me about "sharing" books, because I read somewhere you could do that "once" legally. I realize these are digital books, and usually they cost way less than a hard-copy, but I did pay for them. It's a hard call I suppose since if we all shared every digital book we owned, well, you get it;)

Now I almost always check them out from the library, never without a book to read;) and free. I finally got my Overdrive App (see original post) to work on my Nook. I also bought a new, Kindle Fire Tablet 7", and it is fast, and mostly, a computer more than just a ereader.

That's enough for me to write before I've even had my coffee, lol;) Oh, one more thing. I too like holding a book when I read, so I bought a nice cover that opens up and I hold my Nook just like a book. I have a cover on the way from ebay to use on my new kindle;) (pic below):

First my Nook w/Case, Second is my Fire Tablet Home Screen. It's, like I said, basically a computer. Does almost anything a computer can do.

IMG_20170108_082904506.jpg

IMG_20170102_091228615.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-08-08-33-10.png

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Some books can be loaned, and some cannot be loaned, @Denise Happyfeet . If you go to your Amazon account, go to the "manage my content and devices" section, and open that up. Then click on the title of the book that you want to loan out, and it will show a list of actions, one of which is to loan out the book (assuming this book can be loaned). When you choose that option, then I think that it opens a page to loan out the book. I have only done that once, and it was several years ago, so I don't really remember exactly how it worked.
    The person you loan the book to has a specific amount of time for the loan, if I remember right, and when the book is loaned, you can't access it on your own Kindle. Since you have already read the book, this is not usually a problem. I think that you can only loan a book out one time, so once you do that, you can't ever loan it out again.
    Here is what it should look like on your amazon account page.
    IMG_0172.PNG

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

My books I bought are all from Barnes and Noble Yvonne;) on my Nook. I'll have to see if they have something like Amazon. Thank you much;)

13. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh this is great, thanks much @Yvonne Smith you've helped me again;) This is for lending a Nook. I do hope some of my books have the "icon" so I can lend them to my sis. If not, I'll keep this thread updated in case there's someone here with a Nook that might like to read some of my books;) denise

loan rights for Nook.PNG

14. Yvonne Smith

That looks like about the same information as I remember reading in the Kindle one, Denise. You should also be able to download ALL of the Barnes and Noble books to your own Kindle, I would think. I know when I buy a book from Amazon, I can put it on my own devices, Kindle, iPad and iPhone, as well as on the Dell computer (assuming I wanted it on there).
    Even though you have already read all of the books you purchased, you might buy one from the same author that refers to the other book, and want to re-read some part of it; so transferring the books is something that you might want to look into and consider.
    Also, now that you have a Kindle, I think that you have access to the Kindle Lending Library. You might need Prime for that; but I think it works for anyone who has a Kindle.
    With the lending library, you can borrow up to one book per month of books that qualify , and you can keep it as long as you want to keep it. Once you return it, you can borrow another book. More information should be in that Kindle Owners Manual that I told you about by Steve Weber.

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Kindle does have Apps that will read EPUB format which is what B&N has. Kindle is the Mobi format as I understand it anyway. Just learning;)

Thank you for the info on the Lending Library, I'll look into that as well. Besides the possibility of my Nook books going to waste, it look good for tons of ways to get free "reads". I have found the library2go has the best variety, although you can buy any book written for a price;)

Would you believe not ONE of my 116 books has the icon, or "lend me" on it in my Nook library?? Figures, LOL! I know there are other ways by way of an App called Calibre, but pretty techinical when I looked into it. Something will work out. Even if I have to send my Nook up to my sister so she can read my books on it, now they can't beat me at that game;) I'll still have my new Kindle to read. Her Christmas present was a Fire Tablet (think I mentioned that already) and as neat as her's was, I had to get one too;) Plus I can help her better if I have the same reader;)

Thanks again for all your help. If you know much about Calibre, I'd love to know how the heck it works;) I suppose I could study myself, argg!! Maybe if I eat some chocolate I'll get more energy. Stuck inside it's raining so much;) ttys, denise

PS @Frank Sanoica, stop scratchin your head, you'll wear a hole in it;)

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.