Noodles For Long Life

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Corie Henson, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Birthdays usually have that cake with candle and ice cream too. That's the tradition that we know. But aside from those food for the kids, we always have noodles, particularly the Chinese noodles that we call pancit. According to the old timers, having pancit for a birthday celebration is a symbol of long life so the strands of the noodles should not be cut. But lately, pasta is also classified in the same category especially spaghetti. And the guests who will partake of the food should not forget to eat noodles so they will also have long life.

In weddings, noodles is also getting popular for the same symbol - a long married life of the couple.

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I like noodles...I would put this in the category of "Who Knew?" One of the traditions we have here in some places is a birthday spanking...where you get swatted for every year, and then at the end they say "And one to grow one." Fortunately, in my family, we don't practice that tradition!:p

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Noodles for long life is cool to eat and cool to have at celebrations always! Love noodles too! It's been practiced at our family gatherings and someone always brings noodles for all celebrations too! We love noodles anyway so it's very nice that it means long life too!:)

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never heard of noodles for a long life, but it doesn't sound any less unusual than eating 12 grapes or 12 other items at midnight on New Year's Even for prosperity, eating black eyed peas for prosperity/good luck in the new year, etc. I enjoy hearing about these types of customs. I've heard of one where the person is supposed to sweep their floors and sweep any dirt out the door before midnight for a fresh start to the new year, and that it's also helpful to sleep with a horseshoe under the pillow or keep cash in your pocket/wallet on New Year's for prosperity. I don't see a downside to any of them, and I like things that foster a sense of hope for the future.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Oodles of Noodles - (Jimmy Dorsey 1933)
    David Lovrien, alto saxophone
    Eduardo Rojas, piano