Non Christians In Christian Jobs

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Ken Anderson, May 23, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was working as a meta editor of the now defunct Open Directory Project, one of the other metas was an organist for a Christian church. The thing is that she was an evangelical atheist, by which I mean not the kind of atheist who simply doesn't believe in God but the kind of atheist who wants to make sure that no one else does either, and that seemed like a strange choice of occupation.

Although all but one of the churches that I have ever attended on a regular basis were not large mega-churches, a couple of them paid a stipend to the organist, but she was also a member of the church. I did attend one large church that had professional bands but, even then, I had assumed these were Christian musicians.

When I attended Bible college, the man who taught the Covenant classes was an atheist. He didn't bring it up at every opportunity, nor did I ever feel that he was trying to drive others away from their faith, but he did announce near the beginning of the class that he was not a believer. Again, I thought, what a strange career choice.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think it matters as long as you do the job you're supposed to do.

My oldest grandson volunteered at a summer bible class to get community service hours needed in high school these days.

The kids loved him but it wasnt even a church that he belonged to....he's a bad catholic and this was some other religion.

I mean bad catholic in that he's had catechism and did all the sacraments required so far but doesn't go to church or anything....

I guess he believes in God but that's about it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There can be, and are, some very odd things that can go on within a church. Had never been to a church service or bible study where a fully uniformed, including service weapon, was in attendance...…...seen one here, both in the service and in bible study.

As for us, we don't want to go to any church that has people who are atheist teaching anything. They belong in a group of atheists, not a church that worships God. Absolutely don't care what his/her qualifications are.

I remember my wife telling me about an old boyfriend she had and that him and her went to a church Therapist for some relationship counseling. While talking to both of them, he asked "are you two having sex out of marriage?", in which they replies, "yes". He looked at both of them and told them he could no longer councel them and they were no longer welcome at the church. My wife fully understood and didn't go back. She wasn't mad at all that they were asked this question or what the church counselor told them. Wife and I believe any church has the right to turn away anyone who they deem unacceptable.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that like Green Cards taking jobs from Americans? Or maybe it's okay for green cards. If no christian can play the piano in church and a non christian can, is that a decision for the Elders or Deacons? Does anyone have to approve or do they asked? Does Christianity matter anymore?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, lots, and I do mean "lots", of folks here go to church. Most churches here have two services on Sunday morning. Law enforcement has patrol cars, with lights on, and officers directing traffic at most churches entrances here. Never seen that in Colorado or North Carolina.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

To the World...maybe not. Even to some who call themselves Christians...maybe not. But to those who call God their Father, Jesus their Lord and Savior, and the Bible the Truth...yes Christianity does matter still.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

EXCELLENT answer, Babs, just plain excellent!!

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Very odd indeed:rolleyes:

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

That's interesting @Ken Anderson Never would have thought. But I haven't attended any religious groups or events.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have known atheists who were true Bible scholars, and I have known many more agnostics who were just ignorant, self-centered individuals, but some of the nastiest people I have ever known claimed to be "Born Again Christians". The atheist organist is exposing him/her self to conversion, which isn't a bad thing. I met one musician who was (I think) Episcopal in his upbringing and got a job as an organist in a Catholic Church. After a few years, he found the Catholic Church had what he missed in the Anglican and converted to Roman Catholicism. I know this is a far cry from Atheism to Christianity, bud God can do amazing things. That musician is now a well-known composer of hymns and religious songs.