No Internet For A Day & 1/2

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ed Wilson, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh the horror. Got up this morning and checked again. Nope. Gathered the info about the router, got a comfortable chair and prepared myself for frustration. Last time I dealt with a bad connection from India and a thick accent. Went and did a few things, came back and tried again. Alleluia! It was working. There is a God.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For some reason, both Bobby and I are having problems with internet connection also. It seems to go on and off, and then hooks back up again spontaneously usually.
    My daughter has a different provider, and she said that she has been having the same issue of losing connection momentarily. It is really frustrating when you start to open or refresh a page, and then it doesn’t happen because of the lost connection.
    Sometimes, what we do is use the hotspot on our phone and connect that way, which seems to be working fine.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I frequently have problems with my air iPad. I keep thinking my wifi is dropping my iPad
    kand causing no connection.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We were having intermittent problems of signal dropping last fall. A new modem/router from Comcast fixed the problem.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's interesting. We recently switched ISPs because we couldn't get a reliable connection from our former ISP.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

After my initial post it conked out again. Out of the blue, it is now on. ???

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Who is your provider, Ed? If you have had your router/modem for a while it might be time to replace it.

8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have Verizon DSL. I'm now thinking the problem is one I'm creating myself. I fixed my old tower and now am running it and the laptop together in different rooms. I think they are interfering with each other when I have them simultaneously connected to their individual router and then neither one can go online. One at a time is OK. Not fully sure yet.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have noticed that my baby monitor has been giving me a 'no signal' alert lately. I thought that it was dying on me so I sought out one on Ebay and had the winning bid. It arrived today. After about 10 minutes a 'no signal' alert' and the 'waiting for connection' appeared. Which made me begin to wonder about my initial assumption.

With that said I unplugged them and walked to the cameras and waited about 20 minutes and they were fine. I walked back to my computer and the alerts resumed.

I had heard about wi-fi boosters and did a search. They have plug-in boosters which would be perfect.

Does anyone have any experience with a wi-fi booster for a recommendation?

10. Ken Anderson

I can't help, as far as a brand recommendation goes. We use one called Weboost because my wife wasn't getting a good signal from her office upstairs, which is also on the opposite side of the house from the router, which is downstairs. It involves one component attached to a PVC pipe that extends beyond the roof of the house and another in a downstair's window below. It seemed to make a dramatic difference when we installed it, but I had to run around the house with an iPhone app that would pick up on locations for the best signal. Since then, we have gotten a much better ISP and may or may not actually need the WiFi booster anymore. If I had to reset it, I'd probably have to do a frantic search for the documentation because I don't remember what was involved, except that I didn't enjoy it. Short story, the WiFi booster helped but it wasn't a simple matter of plugging it in. Since that's the only one I've used, I don't know how it compares to others.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, about how long ago was it installed. I'm thinking that because of the brick wall that was for a coal or wood burning stove and a fireplace (converted to gas but non-working). It divides the main floor kitchen, dining room on one side and living room on the other. This is the only thing that concerns me, will the signal be strong enough to penetrate that brick wall. I may call the manufacturers with that question.

Yes, I've read some reviews on about 3 different boosters that said the installation was no easy task.. The other reviews were on the plug-ins which is my preference.

Thanks Ken.

12. Ken Anderson

It was three or possibly four years ago.

13. Ken Anderson

@Von Jones, I was confused. The Weboost booster was to boost our cell signal, not the WiFi. I did install a WiFi booster, but that was a Netgear product, and it was about four years ago. That was easier. Kind of. I wrote about it in this thread. The "Web" part of "Weboost" had me thinking that was the WiFi booster. Silly me.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I had Comcast come to my apartment and get my modem/router etc. adjusted and upgraded and now have no more sudden disconnects and slow down loads.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remember that movie Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman. He wanted to stay off the radar. But Will Smith made a phone call...
    There are times I want to leave home without my phone. We all managed most of our lives without one. But there are no pay phones around anymore in case of emergencies.
    occasionally Being without an internet connection shows me how much I should try to do without it, a sort of occasional fast. I waste a lot of time online and on TV connection. I also don't like the fact that anyone can know my business. I do not have a facebook account. My children are forced to call or email if they want to let me know something. I don't think there is anything wrong with one on one communication.
    ; )
    I like to be able to make flight reservations without a travel advisor via computer. But I also find making travel plans is getting harder to do.
    I like being a dinosaur.

Ken Anderson likes this.