No Family Christmas For Sil

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Found out last night that my SIL (wife's sister) and family will not be having Christmas together this year. She is somewhat depressed about it, but can do nothing about it. This will be the first time family members are going other places. Well, wife and I haven't been with family for Christmas since 2001, when we moved away from her family to another state. SIL has single/retired girlfriends she could be with, if they aren't with family.

Actually, while I was divorced/single, I spent numerous years (20) by myself on Christmas. Both did and didn't bother me. I didn't have a tree or decorate. Had the day off from work and would just find something to do to pass the day. Go to an open Denny's for breakfast and that was it.

Sometimes no family gathering at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas can happen. We don't have the finances to fly to her and visa/versa.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I usually spent Christmas and other holidays alone after I was divorced also. Most of the time, I ended up working over the holiday so that the people who did have family could be off that day and spend it together with their family.
    In Idaho, I had a friend who was also alone , and far from her family, so Pat and I would often just share a simple holiday meal together.
    It IS hard to adjust to spending the Christmas holiday alone, especially when it has always been a big family celebration together; and maybe you can call and talk with the SIL on Skype, or something like that.
    That way, she can feel like she is at least thought of and part of the family celebrations.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I remember, during my high school years, my step-parents family always had a family gathering for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was really nice. After all those years that I didn't really celebrate either Thanksgiving or Christmas, it was sure nice, when I met my wife, to celebrate those holidays with her family. But, as already stated, when we moved away from her family, that "gathering" ended.

We do call SIL and BIL each Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that works out nice.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what is happening in my Family this Christmas too @Cody Fousnaugh. At first I was really down about this but then I decided to explore what other possibilites. And I found one that works for my husband and me.

Maybe your SIL could have some friends over or join friends for their celebration. They could also volunteer at a Soup kitchen that will be serving Christmas meals to the homeless, etc. or invite those they know who have no Family over for a meal with them. They could try something they have never tried before, etc.

At first it felt like the end of the World when I found out we weren't going to be able to gather as a Family this year....but now I know it's just an opportunity to find out what else might be enjoyable.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, my BIL, SIL's brother, doesn't care one iota about being with family at Thanksgiving or Christmas. He lives in south Florida. Since my MIL, his mother, died, he has basically ignores the whole family. We talk to him on the phone, but if we weren't to call him, we'd never hear from him. We were planning on driving down and seeing him for Christmas this year. Wife was really excited about going, but, I fell, and with the foot injury, the trip is off. He told me "that fine with me". Other than at work, the dude is a real "loner" type.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I've ever spent a Christmas alone in 65 years. It's usually with my daughter and her family but this year I'm going to My son's in Illinois. It will be more fun because his boys are still young and believe in the magic of Christmas.
    I don't know all that's planned but the 23rd my son already got the tickets for the new Star Wars movie and one night we're going to the St. Louis Botanical Gardens Christmas light show.

I don't even bother decorating my house at Christmas since I'm never home.

If for some reason I was alone on Christmas or Thanksgiving, I'd survive. I'd do something special for myself that I don't usually do.