No Cash: Banks Refusing To Release Funds

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page I responded as tactfully as I could see fit to, Chrissy, and knew you need not have more pain inflicted even though it lies with the forum, outside the realm of your personal life.

The forum is a tool allowing mutual benefit when used purposefully, and I am, I realize, often at fault for being provocative. Directed provocation in my mind encourages deep responses, it's not quite like competitively playing games, which I have little interest in. I truly hope this will dispense with the impression that I have proclivities toward hostility, and, will try to exercise better judgment in my future "rants".

And, perhaps I "shouldn't go there", but will......sort of.......realizing you have problems, perhaps despair, it's understandable completely why you would feel as you do. Somehow, as time heals difficulties, you will "pull-up" from the doldrums.

Frank

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just be yourself, I don't know what's gotten into me lately. Guess I need an outlet and
    Since I'm not my usual flirty persona I've become a b*tchy one. :)

I'm not a therapist so I'm just guessing. :)

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The amount is or was $10,000 that is supposed to be reported as suspicious, but structuring means putting together several smaller amounts to equal or exceed the $10,000 limit, without being flagged, so therefore, attempting to get around the law. I'm personally tired of having to go around all of these restrictions on our freedoms simply because some choose to violate the laws. I'd rather see those people targeted and inconvenienced, rather than having to be searched when moving through a federal building, airport, etc. Thankfully, when I worked in federal buildings I had ID badges, and didn't have to go through that, but there are plenty of other circumstances, such as being unable to purchase Pseudoephedrine without having to sign for it, that really irritate me.

I would also be livid if I had been put through those circumstances @Ken Anderson. I would probably have carried more money with me, just because in my history, if something can go wrong, it will, but I doubt I would have had enough on me to do all of the things you needed to do, and back then, everything took longer and was much more laborious, it seems. I'm glad at least you eventually got your money back, but who knows how much worse the situation could have gotten, since it doesn't seem either bank was very forthcoming and accepting of blame.

4. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't like banks either. When we came to Naples, Florida I opened an account at a bank, that had my pension check tied up for 7 working days. I went to the bank to find out why?? The reason was it was an out of state check. And I'm arguing the fact it's a payroll check I could see if it was an out of state personal check. I told the manager, that Libbey Glass Division of Owens Illinois had been in business since 1832, Toledo, Ohio. How long has this bank been in business? I withdrew and went elsewhere. First thing I asked was how long do you hold an out of state Payroll pension checks?? I keep cash hidden. Sometimes use my unisex money belt. Even more in hurricane season, because the ATM machines are about the first to shut down. I remember dad telling me that if you ever have to go it alone and own your property make sure you have enough cash on hand to pay for the property taxes. Ones that had money in banks lost there homes they couldn't pay the taxes in the depression and the ones that had home safes was able to fair out.:)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marilyn Pahl
    Strong points! My folks had invested their savings in some kind of Bonds before the Depression hit. After several years, they became worth less than 10 cents on the dollar. At that time, well-to-do folks were buying them up cheaply. My folks had invested several thousand dollars, and sold them to a Doctor advertising he was buying them. They got only a few hundred bucks. Small wonder folks became "mattress stuffers", fearful of banks.

Our old family Doctor, a Welshman whose father had worked in the coal mines, built a beautiful brick home, two-story, with his office downstairs, for cash during the Depression, for only a few thousand dollars. He was forthright, caring, left a waiting room with patients less hurt than I at 5, having crushed my thumb under a manhole cover. He was at our house in 30 minutes!
    Frank

6. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

That's really interesting Frank, My mother's mother had a big house she rented out rooms. Then the depression effected family members and it was for them. My father's mother didn't believe in owning property. She rented a 3 story house cheap, and rented out rooms to railroad workers. The Norfolk & Western ran there trains back of the house. She said, I can be rest assured getting my money, because the railroads are controlled by the government. Trains will always run for transporting troops, coal, grain. She always kept money back of the ice block wrapped in oil cloth.:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like my bank. I sometimes take surplus from the garden to give to the tellers. They are always friendly and helpful. BTW the $3500 I took out to buy my truck was at a different branch and I didn't know anyone there. Still got the money, no problem at all.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marilyn Pahl , I can feel for you. I am bank shy myself. When my husband and I first started out in '67, he was the one to handle the household finances. He was 24 and I was 15, so of course I thought he would know how to handle that best. Plus back then it was the man's 'place' and right to direct and rule the household. Well within the first years our banking finances were in such bad shaped we had to camp out for several months. That was when I started handling the household money.

My father and I didn't like each other, but I learned my business sense from him. Number one lesson, "Don't put all your eggs in one baskets".

So I had my hubby open an account with the city's credit union. Back then if he spent more than was there, the credit union would shut his account down, and deduct the overage from his up coming earnings, but they didn't add a lot of penalty charges. The trick was to give my husband an allowance, And I took over the household funds. I also had opened another bank account the hubby couldn't touch, (with his permission), and I still have a home safe that I keep emergency cash in it for times like hurricanes.

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  9. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Before my late husband passed in Toledo, Ohio 1984 we had a house built in Harlingen Texas. Our older boys had already moved in other states. Pip our youngest was 3 when husband/father passed. I thought it would be nice to live in our new house and get out of the cold weather. We lived in Harlingen when the S & L's took a big flop and closed their doors. Lucky I withdrew our monies and put it in Wells Fargo a week before. This was a tip from my neighbor I barely knew, and thought to myself I was plain nuts. The S & L we did business with had chained and padlocked the doors and posted an armed guard. People were crying their hearts out they couldn't get their money. The only businesses fairing out were the pawn shops. People were pawning things to pay their bills it was awful and will never forget it. I've just have a distrust after that. Late husband handled the finances and was good at it. We were partners always. G-d love him he'll always be in my heart. Sure I've made mistakes, but you can't beat yourself over it. "People are not born perfect, just human.":)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016