Next Stop Mars?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost hard to believe isn't it that we are now contemplating going to Mars. There was a time when just thinking about going the moon was considered out of our reach. I wonder if we will make it to Mars in my lifetime or if it will take longer. All I know is that we are now thinking in that direction, so who knows.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it seems pretty incredible that NASA is actually contemplating going to Mars. I worked there as a contractor back in the early 2000s and they were talking of it then, but it seems they've made progress, even with all the budgetary cut backs that have occurred since that time.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I had heard from my husband, there was this unmanned craft that landed on Mars. The robot was to take photos and it had sent some already. However, that robot was experiencing technical problems with the panning and tilting of the camera. I'm sure man can reach Mars if the budget will be provided. That's what happened when the Apollo series was starting. President Kennedy gave out all his support to NASA and in 1969, history was made.

By the way, there is a project by a private group that auditioned (or still auditioning) for passengers of a ship that will go on a one-way trip to Mars. From the last I heard, one Filipino is a finalist.

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't find it that hard to believe that we're finally going to Mars. In fact, I find it mind blowing that we haven't got there already! We managed to get on the moon 46 years ago. We had 46 years to progress further through our Solar system, but instead, we started giving NASA less and less money and support, and now we can barely get a man out in space.