Newspapers, What Do You Read?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What is the greatest newspaper in the United States, the paper that covers more topics and provides the broadest coverage? I used to think the New York Times the best. It is the only newspaper I have subscribed to other than my home town rag wherever my home town happen to be. I also like the Washington Post, especially back in the years when it had a strong Religious Editor. Back when I was working and managing a large sales territory, every day at noon I bought a copy of USA Today because of its varied coverage.

Today with the financial crunch on print news you can only read a few copies a month before you are cut off and must subscribe to read more. I liked the NYT because you got both liberal and conservative viewpoints and often a few good independent political articles.

I recently looked at the top fifteen newspapers by circulation. I have at one time or the other read them all for various reasons. Of course there are many very good newspapers with less circulation. I used to think the Ft. Worth Star Telegram was one of the finest newspapers in the country. I still read it occasionally online. In fact most of the reading I do today, especially news, is done online.

I will admit I watch very little television. When we moved to Norman I turned the television over to my wife. I have a recent iMac desktop and two older iPads. If I had one of Apples phones I’d keep it handy but I have an old Alcatel phone and Tracfone is the provider. It does not take photos nor can you text with it. It has large numbers for an older person who may not see too well and is only carried when I leave the house.

In today’s America I really don’t expect too many to read a national press publication but did wonder if anyone other than myself did, knowing of course it is not important one way or the other, merely conversation that will go nowhere.

Thomas Stearn and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would say probably the Wall Street Journal. The NY Times and the Washington Post are part of the media arm of the Democrat Party.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

And what have I learned from all my reading other than the days happenings? We as a nation going out among other peoples, starting wars, trying to buy friendships, spreading democracy, a system of govermment that scarcely works for us. We only create more enemies. Yet left to our own devices we will eventually destroy each other. I have enjoyed my interactions with most on this forum. I wish you a ll well

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Heck, I didn't know anyone even bought and read newspapers today. We do buy a paper on Thanksgiving Day to look at the Black Friday ads, and we did buy a newspaper last night at Walmart...……..to use for packing up dishes for the move.

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

When I used to get real newspapers it was the local paper. They provided a lot of great information that would apply to us in our little towns. They also provided information nationally.

Today I only buy a newspaper for 2 reasons.

One reason would be to save something important - birth announcements and feature stories.

The other reason happens about once quarterly. We use the pages to wash windows.

We can access newspapers online these days but it's good to know they are still available in physical form if we choose to go back to that.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When we first moved out here to Alabama, one of my first part-time jobs was to sell subscriptions for the local newspaper. We were given a small kiosk to set up in stores that would let us work in their store, and in exchange, the company would purchase gift cards from that store which they gave out with a drawing each week.
    My job was to call people over to signup for the free drawing, and then explain to them the latest subscription sale that the newspaper was having, or some other reason that was an inducement for people to subscribe to the paper.
    At first, there were a lot of sales, and also subscription renewals , but gradually most people switched over to reading news online instead of having a morning paper delivered .
    Most of the sales I got after that happened were for the days that coupons and sales ads came out, especially the Sunday edition. Some people even took two (or more) subscriptions to the Sunday paper because they used all of the coupons, and they said they just either gave the rest of the paper away, used it for bird cages or washing windows, or just plain put it in the garbage.
    Eventually, the newspaper just stopped having people sell subscriptions from the kiosk, probably because people signed up online for the digital subscription.

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never read a newspaper on a regular basis in all my life. First, I didn't used to have the time for that after work. If at all, I read weekly newspapers occasionally on the weekend to catch up with things. Then there was a period when newspapers got even more bulky and became way too expensive for me. When I could afford them again I realised that I didn't want to read something which other people thought would be relevant on a particular day while topics I was considering relevant were being ignored. So, newspapers did not satisfy my needs.
    Since the internet came along I have adopted the approach of researching topics I am interested in myself using numerous sources. I consider this to be most rewarding.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I read no newspapers any longer, although it was once the highlight of my day. I subscribed to a local area paper for a long time, but it became and non-entity an really didn't have anything in it, even though it was only published three times a week. I had a very bad experience with the one remaining Anchorage paper and promised I would never read another edition. Despite what Ken said about the Washington Post and the New York Times, the (then) Anchorage Dispatch News was a branch of the Obama campaign, and one of his principal contributors. When President Obama visited Alaska, he spent 30 minutes with the governor, but spent over 2 1/2 hours with the owner of the Anchorage newspaper. The paper went bankrupt in the year before Big O's term ended,and the paper was sold to the syndicate that runs sternwheelers out of Fairbanks.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I read loads of newspapers online, and that includes Newspapers in Spain, and in the USA ... I'm a bit of a news freak.

I only buy local Newspapers in Spain now when I'm there which are not readily available online ....

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I subscribe to two hometown newspapers. One leans heavily Democrat; the other leans Republican. Fair and balanced news. :D

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Bill Boggs like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I used to read three newspapers a day on a regular basis, plus I subscribed to magazines. It has been years since I have subscribed to a newspaper, and I rarely even read the ones that are free at the hotel.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We bought the local paper for a while but the crosswords were too easy.

Before I met Yvonne, I used to buy the New York Times and London Times because they have the best crossword puzzles but I figured that buying a newspaper for the crosswords and the comic section was a bit overboard so I don’t even think about buying them any longer.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I read our High Desert "Daily Press" every morning at breakfast.

I scan the front page, then go for the most interesting reading in the Paper: The "Opinion Page", which I occasionally submit a letter to.

Hal

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

All of the "newspapers" in out state are controlled by one group that has a huge tilt to the left and actually dis conservatives continually.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Not many papers one can read on line, they all want you to subscribe. They willallow one to read a few arcticles a month free. I used to read the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times After a subscription to each(at different times) I couldn't afford to renew, they cut me off.

Speaking of online news, I read on Politico yesterday or day before that if the presidential election was held today, Trump would win by a landslide and in all probability, He will anyway in 2020. I tend to agree. As yet no one announced would stand a chance. I suspect that trend will continue.For some, it's almost a life and death struggle (the left vs right). I think It's a game monied men play, those pulling the strings.

And the Secretary of State said Donald Trump probably was sent to us to save Israel and the jewiosh people. Could be, huh?