News About Jacksonville, Florida

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There was an article on my First Coast News App about how Jacksonville is quickly becoming a Minority-Majority City. IOW, many whites are moving out and Blacks, Asians, Hispanics and Indians are moving in. The story said there were 15,400 fewer whites in 2017 compared to 2008, 32,400 more African-Americans, 36,100 more Latinos and 18,600 more Asians. "Jacksonville is in the midst of a demographic shift as white residents leave and non-white population flourishes."

Now, since wife and I have moved here, in Jan. 2009, we actually have noticed this happening. The whites aren't necessarily leaving the state, they are moving to St Johns County and driving to their jobs here in Jacksonville. IOW, there are weekdays that the freeway traffic here looks exactly like Los Angeles.

BUT, for the amount of people that are living in Jacksonville proper, an estimated 931,000, 15,000 less doesn't seem like much. And, on top of that, all we hear about is how people here love the diversity of this city and mainly because they moved here from a very diverse area.

Wife and I don't like "diversity" that much and will be glad to move out of here.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While I can understand people moving away from rising crime rates, bad schools, or high taxes, I don't imagine there are too many people who would move away from their home because black families move into the neighborhood. I suppose it happens, but I suspect it occurs much less often now than fifty years ago.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Jacksonville is very noted for it's crime stats, especially parts of it. Quite a bit of black crime in parts of this city. Now, down here where we live, in the southern end, the blacks here seem to be very different...…...as in very, very nice. However, because of the crime stats of this city, most people don't talk to those they don't know. People here get very, very surprised when wife and/or myself start up a conversation with them.
    The Indian people are very nice as well and we have talked to some of them that are residents here.
    Don't know how accurate the article is, but we have noticed a lot more blacks and Indians have moved into our complex since we moved in.

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a similar situation in my city but it has more to do with income than with race or ethnicity, follow the money.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”
    - Mark Twain

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I travel through Jacksonville many times going up and down the waterway. What you mention can apply to many locations. For me I move into a place where I am the lone person in the group. A friend said it was like a marshmallow in a coal pile but not complaining enjoying it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.