Newly Diagnosed And Frankly, It's Scary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Just thought I'd share that on January 12 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. On Monday I will have a chemo port installed and will be starting chemotherapy shortly after. My life for the past weeks has been a whirlwind of scans, diagnostic mammograms, needle biopsies, core biopsies, skin punch biopsies, absolute terror, MRIs, PET scan, brain MRI, ultrasounds, blood work, heart EKG and echo-cardiogram, Covid tests, and of course, "consultations."

I have been riddled with anxiety, terrified, sad, and finally a little calm with intermittent hysteria. Of course Covid has made all of this doubly stressful and my doctor has given me an anti-anxiety medication because I was afraid I'd have a stroke from sheer terror. My husband has not been allowed to accompany me to ANY of this, not even hearing my diagnosis. Thanks, Covid! He has been incredibly supportive, driving me to the medical center what seems like hundreds of times, and having to wait for hours in the car.

My diagnosis is Invasive Ductile Carcinoma (IDC) with one lymph node involved, and the bonus news is that I also have a clinical diagnosis of Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC), one of the most aggressive types. IBC typically presents with no lump and is usually missed on mammograms. The PET scan found no other metastasis in the body so I was spared a Stage 4 diagnosis, though IBC is never less than Stage 3. I was diagnosed and will be treated at MD Anderson in Houston.

Because the cancer is aggressive, I will have 6 months of chemotherapy before a mastectomy next summer, and when that is healed I will have radiation treatment. So I will be bald, sick, unhappy and terrified for the next year or so. My family and friends have been fantastic; I am so grateful for such a support group.

Right now I am numb with dread and have had "gastronomical distress" since all this started the week before Christmas. Anxiety does a number on my stomach. I will try to update this thread with progress.

Yeah. I thought 2020 sucked, but I had no idea 2021 had bigger plans.

Janine Coral and Marci Miller like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh, @Beth Gallagher , that such terrible news , and my heart aches for you. Sending love, hugs and prayers, and hoping that all of the treatment goes well and catches the cancer right away.
    It is so terrible that they are not allowing family into the doctor’s offices or hospitals , and that makes everything so much harder. Just knowing that Robin and Bobby were there when I was having heart procedures helped calm my overwhelming fear so much, and I know you have got to be feeling all of that fear alone.
    I wondered why we have not heard as much from you as usual, but never considered that it might be such a serious issue that was keeping you occupied.
    Please update us as you can, and know that we all care, and those of us who pray, will be in prayer for you, and your family.

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife had Breast Cancer and I understand what you are going through Beth. I wish you well through all your treatments.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks so much, Yvonne. As you can imagine, I am feeling quite shell-shocked and hoping to wake up from this nightmare. I will take all the prayers and good wishes I can get.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I appreciate your kindness, Lon. Sorry to hear that your wife (and you) had to go through this.

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher I am so sorry you're going through this! You have my prayers and hopes. You've already gone through so much! I pray for your courage and healing!

[​IMG]

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks so much, girl. I'm feeling really mortal these days.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm so sorry to hear that Beth. Can't imagine what you must be going through.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Shocked and saddened to hear of your diagnosis, Beth. You and your husband are in our prayers. Never give up hope!

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's a hint, Nancy... "hell and back." Thanks very much; I appreciate every kindness.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thank you very much, Joe. It is sincerely appreciated. Seems like hope is in short supply these days but I'll keep digging.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth, so sorry to hear of your diagnosis-so very sorry. I will hope and pray and keep fingers
    crossed in your behalf. So glad you have support of your husband. Wishing you the best my friend.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh Beth I am truly sorry to hear this.
    My heart aches for you and your hubby. Hugs and prayers literally for you both. Keep us posted on your journey with this crsis.

14. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Prayers for you, hubby, and rest of family.

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

So sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a good outcome.