New Year Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Holly Saunders, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you make new year resolutions?

I usually make a resolution not to make any :D...but this year I've got to make a resolution to lose weight and try and get back to the weight I was in the summer prior to gaining over 20 pounds due to steroid medication...seriously I have to gather all my will power and do the best I can.

What about you folks...do you make new year resolutions?...have you ever?...and did /do you stick to them?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Snap !! Asked the question a few days back - Keep up Holly :p
    No, I won't be doing the resolution thing, I never kept them anyway :D

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Just one. In response to my internet friend's request that I "be kind to your liver". He is a Mormon. I confided I make my own wine. "Nuff said, I guess.

Will I stop drinking? Absolutely. Have I stopped drinking? ........WTH do you think? ....Should I ...................Yep! Why haven't I, then?

I don't know. Certain of my "imponderables" remain imponderably impossible to ponder, much less resolve.
    Frank

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I knew there was a Thread that I replied to concerning this topic! But, the same answer goes for this Thread..........nope!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a little late, being the 4th, but I have been
    thinking about how I never make a New Year Resolution.

Looking back on my past I realized, next to my family,
    the two things that brought me the most joy was Sailing and playing music.

Since I live in Tennessee at the moment, sailing on the ocean will have to wait.

When my Dad taught me sailing, I was at an age when motors and speed were just taking control of my thinking.
    How could a thing with a Sail be as much fun as a boat with a motor.
    Then something hit me when the wind propelled me forward, the sound of the ropes and sail repsonding to the wind.
    Everything was in my control...I felt everything.

I was hooked.

The other joy was learning music.
    Fought hard in school thinking I didn't need to 'read' music when the type of music I wanted to play was 'Rock-n-Roll'!
    So glad my music/band teacher made me anyway.

Now back to the point.

For years I only played my two favorite types of music for myself, never when other people were around.

Classical and Jazz.

No More. This year is the year of my return to what makes Me happy. Plan to get a Cello and a different Jazz guitar.

The older I get, the more I feel like I'm turning into a 'Hippie'.

Might be fun.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Music is wonderful, and having your own cello and jazz guitar will probably bring you a lot of enjoyment in the years to come, @Tim Burr . When I lived in Idaho before Bobby and I were married, I used to have a Lowrey organ, and even though I am not a great musician, I spent a lot of hours playing the organ and singing my favorite songs as I played.
    I also had an Omnichord, which could either play with its own rhythm, or without, and I used that when I was at the weekly church prayer meetings and we sang choruses. One of the other members played guitar, and we practiced together for the songs we sang each week.
    I had to leave the organ behind when we moved, and the Omnichord got old and quit working; so except for playing music with the headphones on, I don't have music in my life now, and I miss having the musical instrument.

Suzuki has stopped making the Omnichord, but they now make a similar instrument called the "Q-Chord", which is also easy to play for anyone, just in case anyone else is thinking about an easy instrument to play .
    http://www.suzukimusic.com/education/qchord/

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I played an autoharp back in the '70, and I was surprised at how easy it was to learn. The cost was very affordable, and probably a big reason I chose it, but the music was beautiful as well. I played for several years, but then like so many, my world got too busy, and I don't even remember what happened to my harp.

IMG_4332.JPG

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, my resolution for the year.

To look around and try to "see" the blessings each of you bring to us all each day. :) :D

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a friend (years ago) that had an Autoharp, and when she played it, it sounded like the music of angels to me, and I wanted one SO bad ! When I started reading about Autoharps and looking to see how much a used one would cost, I discovered the Suzuki Omnichord, and saved up until I could buy one.
    They have a lot of the same sound as the Autoharp does, but they can add background rhythms just like some of the modern keyboards and organs have. They are just so easy to learn to play that anyone can enjoy the music, even when you are not a musician.
    June Carter also played an autoharp, and she was pretty much an expert with it and made some beautiful music.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Music 'is' the food of 'life' - play on
    Make sure you have a helping of listening too :)

Holly Saunders likes this.