New Wallet

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Tim Burr, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

After making a purchase and while waiting for my change, I noticed
    that my wallet had seen better days.
    Thought it's time to get a new one.

I've only had this one since 2008.

Mentioned this to the person who seems to have a closet full of purses.
    "just get another one" she says.

I go online and do a search for the company, because I like
    the style and it did hold up for 9 years.

Sticker shock. They sure are expensive ( to my thinking ).
    It's a Fossil and got it as a gift.

Reminded me of the old problem of 'if I spend money on a wallet,
    I won't have any money left to put IN the wallet'...

Settle on a new one, make the deal, and now I wait.

Also got me thinking of my first wallet. I'm sure it was a
    cheap plastic one with a picture of some western movie or TV star.
    I'd fill it with pictures of family, friends and of course Membership Cards
    to every club or company from the back pages of the comic books.

Remember your first wallet or Purse?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

You reminded me of my husband there Tim - he hangs on to a wallet for many years
    He says its comfy once worn in.
    I do recall those wallets you mention a Hubs original :p My first purse was similar too, put a picture of me darlin' in it :p
    Hope yours is comfy once you get it

Tim Burr likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

One wallet does come to mind @Tim Burr. I made it at summer camp one year during my youth by weaving it together with leather stripping...in and out, in and out of the notched holes.

Don't remember what happened to that wallet...but I do remember making it. :)

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not my man...cheap or a bit pricey he can have it torn up in no time. Including cell phone holders , watches, and shoes.
    I ask him...with no reply of course...how tha devil do you do that:(

Von Jones, Tim Burr and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

You can buy one made of duck tape online. Thought about getting my hubby one.

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't even have a wallet, it's more of a card holder. There is a very small zippered place for money but not much fits.

It's made by Coach and Ive had it for more years than I can remember. I like small wallets because I like small purses.

Tim Burr likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Chrissy Cross I am with you a smaller purse is best. I have never been one to over load a purse. Women who carry every bill, reciept and etc.are the ones you want to whack on the head while trying to check out somewhere.
    Then there is all the make up..cologne. Totally unnecessary. What many people male and female alike do not know...is over loading your wallet or purse can play a big part of back and shoulder pain. Then add all the keys to things you don't even own anymore...your whole body is out of line. Drop a few pounds...clean out the purse and wallet...receipts from 1967 and lipstick from 1980 are passe...:)

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, my main reason for a light purse is to avoid back and shoulder pain.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Over here, a purse is small, to carry money - like a wallet
    A handbag or shoulder bag is for all yer other bits an pieces :p

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't remember what I carried for a wallet before my sixteenth birthday, probably one of those cheap one like
    @ Tim Burr mentioned. But on my sixteenth birthday my dad gave me a wallet he bought for th occasion in Amarillo, Texas at a leather and saddle shop. It was one piece of good leather folded to make a wallet. That was in 1949. I went in the service the following year. Carried through two tours in Korea. Had it soaked with salt water, muddy rice paddy water, monsoon rains. I'd remove all contents, unfold it and let it dry out in the sun whenever sun appeared. I wore holes in the creases and in 1968 decided it was worn out.

I searched far and wide for another like it. I didn't discard it, I threw it in a sock drawer and kept it for several years, went into numerous let her shops trying to have one made like my old one. A couple of said they could make one similar but their leather as inferior. I don't remember what I replaced it with but I didn't keep it long. My wife gav me a good leather card holder in the early seventies. I used it for cards for a short while because I collected cards. I converted it into a wallet and still carry it. I've carried it now for about 43 years, and all that time intending to buy myself a new, good wallet someday when I ran a cross one. My daughter gave me a pretty nice wallet she bought in Spain for me. I placed it carefully in my sock drawer where it rests until she comes for a visit, then I get it out, place my drivers license, a debit card, and what money I have and use it while she's here. Once she said to me that wallet sure has held up well and I say, yeah. It's been a good one

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My sister was telling me yesterday that their new 10 month old, 90 lb puppy ate her husband's wallet...so I guess he will be needing a new one too. o_O The puppy didn't try to eat my BIL's Driver's license, credit cards, etc...but he made mince meat out of the wallet! :)

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I never use a purse..( as the money holder is called here for women )..I hate purses they are so easy for someone to just haul out of your bag.. and the bigger they are the easier it is for a thief...jeez I've seen some people with HUGE purses, the size of clutch bags..

I just have a little neat Card holder.. it's leather and its just the size of a credit card..and holds 25 cards..really small and neat and I keep it in the interior zippered part of my shoulder bag!!

I've gotto hold my hands up to being guilty of carrying a bag that's got loads of stuff in it.. but I never keep people waiting in a queue while I'm searching for money because everything is in it's place..but it's true about causing shoulder and back pain.. however for me it's hard not to carry it around...I need everything in there..

The heaviest thing is my bridge camera.(.which being an amateur photographer I almost always have it with me..at least in the summer and autumn )...

Then iPhone..

Diary.. & Pen

Medication..

Spec case.. ( which is soft leather with 2 compartments..one for reading glasses, and one for sunglasses or distance glasses..

Change

Card Holder

Hair brush

Body perfume spray

Lipstick

Wet wipes..

Breath freshener

Hair band..and hair clips for when it's windy.. which is often..

..but my bags all have separate compartments so I know where everything is...and there's never old receipts or crap in there for longer than a day

Von Jones, Tim Burr and Bill Boggs like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Good organization.

Holly Saunders likes this.