New Topics

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is also the personal diaries area, and it looks to me like that would work for a place where you only wanted to post certain things, like your poetry, @Lara Moss .
    The information says one thread per person, and then you can add whatever you wanted to; so if you named it "Lara's Poetry Corner", or something that gave an idea that this is what would be there, then you can post your poetry.
    Probably, you could invite other members that wrote poetry to post there as well, if you wanted it for other writers as well as your own works.
    This could also work for those (like @Ina I. Wonder ), who are artists, and want to showcase their artworks. And anyone else who creates something and wants their own little area to show it, or just to talk about it; the diary section could work for that, too.

That would leave the other topics for things that we post that are not our own specific creations, so maybe it would be a solution for both issues.

Lara Moss and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Again, I can create a forum for poetry, as a sub-forum of Reading & Writing. That's certainly not off the table.

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You know what's best for the forum, Ken. I'm just trying to be helpful about rewording the title of the existing one for clarity. If you don't think it will be well attended then I can see where it wouldn't be necessary. I've only been here 2 months and don't know if we have anyone who writes poetry other than the two I found today.

I'm more concerned about your comment about "can't simply steal poems from other sites and post them here". Could you clarify what you mean? Are you referring to poems, photos, quotes, comic strips, etc that I as well as many others find on google images and post here for fun?

Poems by dead poets are always okay to "steal" legally as well as anything that falls under the Fair Use Law. Section 107 of the Copyright Act which states, "the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright." Ina's and my American Indian thread was educational and all other uses have been for the sake of "comment". I'm pretty sure that's the intention of google images.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. Ken Anderson

Registered

Content that is taken from other web sites is duplicate content that is of no use here unless it leads to criticism, comment or other replies that are not duplicated elsewhere. My point, which I thought was clear, was that if the member of this forum weren't interested in discussing poetry that might be posted here, then it would be stealing, insofar as it wouldn't be for the purpose of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. On the other hand, if there is enough interest in poetry that we are apt to have criticism or comment on these poems, that's fine.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Terry Page likes this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I see. Okay, thank you. I appreciate all the hard work you do here. It's a wonderful site even without changes and fun for all.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for this info Yvonne, I hadn't really noticed this section, I guess I need to look deeper into the forum :rolleyes:

7. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I guess my conclusion is that a general Arts topic would be useful for posting mixed media and other general subjects connected with the arts. In saying this I do feel the same as Lara so many thanks Ken.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think a sports forum would be great

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Registered

I am not necessarily ignoring any suggestions that have been made here. In some cases, I'm not sure how I want to implement it and, in others, I am waiting for another new forum suggestion to balance it, so that we have even numbers of top-level forums in each of our categories. I am posting this to remind myself of one that I might want to add at some point, entitled "Kids These Days."

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Registered

How about, under the "I Remember When" category, a sub-forum for childhood and another teen years? Would that get any use?

11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I think "I remember when" covers it all.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with Sheldon, don't think we need to separate by years.

13. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Personally, I think the title now, and how it's being used, covers the whole gamut. When I "remember when" sometimes it's teen, sometimes it's kid... sometimes it's as a young mom, but it's never really separated in my mind because it's all "nostalgia."

14. Ken Anderson

Registered

The "I Remember When" is the category title. You can't post directly under the category title. You can only post in the sub-forums beneath the category title: Jobs I Have Had, People I Have Known, Places I Have Lived, and Other Reminiscences. Currently, everything from our childhood would be placed within the Other Reminiscences sub-forum, although if you're talking about kids you used hand around with or your hometown, it could go into one of the others.

Chrissy Cross and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for all work you have done on this site Ken, and all the subdivisions.
    Looks like it is working great. ... and we all "remember when" ... :D

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  16. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In the wake of the deaths of many notable people in the last few weeks, we have quite a number of threads remembering them. I was wondering if it might be worth have an obituaries section in the light of this.

Carlota Clemens and Terry Page like this.
  17. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Well-Known Member
    Registered

I second Tom's idea, and the obituary section could be also a tribute to your beloved daughter, Ken.

This obituary section could be kind of equivalent to those sites where one can go over there to light a candle in memory of people who have passed away.

Terry Page likes this.
  18. Sheldon Scott

Registered

How about a section on company reviews. When a business is dishonest or unreliable name them. Likewise when you get good service from a business give them a thumbs up.

Ruby Begonia and Ken Anderson like this.
  19. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How about a forum thread for Science? Would that be helpful?

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  20. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I like science, not chemistry though. :)

But there are a lot of interesting things that are going on in the world and those interest me as well as in space.

21. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I am interested in aspects of science, such as archaeology. I like reading about the findings of dinosaurs and mammoths, and things like that. I especially am interested in the evidence that shows that men and dinosaurs existed at the same times, and that possibly, some of the creatures that we have thought to be extinct, are not extinct at all. We continuously discover such creatures that were thought extinct; and I wonder what we will find next.
    This is a kind of fringe science, and lies somewhere in between accepted science, and the conspiracy/paranormal range; yet it is not that either.
    I think that maybe we could add a sub-forum for this. It could go either under the conspiracy thread, or maybe the one for energy, or even under education.
    Ken can determine where to put it so that it looks orderly to him; but I am certainly all in favor of having one !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also love archaeology, something I wanted to do til I found out that it takes a lot of school and chances are I wouldn't be going on exciting digs in Egypt.

23. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Any of the sciences could be included. I too have an interest in archeology as well as anthropology. Other topics can include space travel and cloning like we enjoyed just in the past two days.

24. Ruby Begonia

Registered

On second thought, maybe the subject is too vast to categorize.

25. Yvonne Smith

Registered

There are a lot of possibilities, for sure, @Ruby Begonia ; but, oh, it will be such a JOY to investigate all of these things !
    There is a huge chasm between what the (mostly atheist) scientists tell us about how, when, and why this world was created, and the simple(yet awesome) version of Godly Creation described in the Bible.
    Yet, discussing this in the religious context only, leaves out a whole lot of the interesting possibilities.
    This is something that I would rather discuss in an open scientific area, as opposed to keeping it as a theological discussion, and yet, I want to include some aspects of that in the discussion as well.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.