New Topics

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You may suggest new topics here. I probably won't create them immediately, and I might want to gauge the amount of interest that there is, so that we don't have any dead areas, but this would be a good place to suggest them. Probably, I would wait, at least, until I have a second one, so that each of our categories remain symmetrical.

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't sure where I should but the two I did sorry.

3. Ken Anderson

There's nothing to be sorry about.

4. Ken Anderson

As a reminder, if you can think of any new topics that we could add here, please let me know. Post it here, since I'll be less likely to forget it if it's posted here. I don't like creating sub-forums that no one is interested in, but every category and sub-forum has threads and responses, so it looks like we're doing pretty good. I probably wouldn't add a new sub-forum until I had another one to add to the same category, for the sake of symmetry, but I'd like to have it noted here.

5. Ken Anderson

I am thinking of starting a new sub-forum in the "I Remember When" category called "Childhood" or something of the sort, but I would need another sub-forum for the "I Remember When" category in order to maintain symmetry.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

"I remember when" sounds like a good idea for a new sub-forum but I would also like to suggest a "Through the Years" forum, with sub-forums for different decades, The 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, and perhaps 1950s and 40s if we have members whose memories can be placed into these latter decades.

This forums would be for generic remembrance of what we remember to have seen through the times in fashion, music, TV commercials and so on.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

"I Remember When" is a category that includes the sub-forums: Jobs I Have Had, People I Have Known, Places I Have Lived, and Other Reminiscences.

Perhaps a sub-forum for decades might work. I'll have to give that some thought.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Okay, I am not sure of the titles yet, but I think I'll create two new sub-forums in the "I Remember When" category, one for discussing our childhood experiences and another for decades, as suggested above, the latter of which can have sub-subforums. I'm not sure of the specifics yet but I'll get to it in the next few days.

Ike Willis and Diane Lane like this.
  9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

All of this sounds very sensible. I can't speak for anyone else, but I tend to be very good at remembering things that happened forty years ago. Remembering something that happened forty minutes ago is a different matter.

10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Sames happens to me when it comes to remember. I'm good at recalling past times but sometimes I can't remember what I did in the immediate minute after being typing this, usually happening to me when the every day fact that says "oh my, where did I put my keys this time?" :D

However I'm glad to see new forums are coming our way to remember past-time moments, events and experiences :)

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Is it possible Ken to have a section to cover the arts including music, poetry and so on, as that is one of my areas of interest together with some other members I believe, at the moment these posts seem to be mostly in the "Not Sure Where it Goes" area or scattered about in some other sections, and not easy to find.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Tom Locke and Lara Moss like this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I would also love to see a thread specifically for those of us who enjoy visual arts and music. Threads of this nature seem to be numerous and quite popular. I'd be happy to make a list of these threads that could be moved into that Forum if you'd like.

Tom Locke and Terry Page like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, I think it would be a good idea. I have been missing some new threads, because they are scattered about. Hope that it is do-able!;) Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Diane Lane, Terry Page and Lara Moss like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

When we start seeing patterns to the topics in the Off Topic forums, then they may become candidates for new forums. I like to keep the first-level forums symmetrical, so I wouldn't want to create a single new forum in any category until I have another one to pair it with.

I have merged your arts, music and poetry thread with the New Topics thread so that when I get around to starting new topics, I can have them all in one place, and so that you can view the other considerations that go into it.

The descriptions for our Movies & Entertainment and Reading & Writing forums are as follows:

Movies & Entertainment -- “Discussion of movies, plays, concerts, or other forms of performance art are the topics of this area of the forum.”

Reading & Writing -- “Novels or short stories in any genre, poetry, or other works of literature, whether high brow or low, are appropriate topics for this category. If we have any authors or poets among us, discussions relating to the art of writing may also be discussed here.”

I am not at all averse to starting new topics but I'd like to avoid overlapping ones whenever possible. Music can be discussed in the Movies & Entertainment forum, while poetry can be discussed in the Reading & Writing forum. Of course, if there are a lot of music or poetry threads, I can always start a sub-forum beneath Movies & Entertainment for Music, and one beneath Reading & Writing for Poetry. That's how forums grow; when the need arises, new areas are added, and general areas are split into more defined areas. If they are needed, I think I'd rather add them as sub-forums.

"Arts," of course, is a general term that can be applied to literature, poetry, music, movies, sculpture, painting, and even such things as the art of war. Anything done well might be considered an art. If I thought that they would be used, I could start a forum in the Education & Entertainment category for Visual Arts, but then I would want to have at least one other new forum in the same category so that we would continue to have an even number.

Discuss.

Terry Page likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How about an "Over the rainbow"sub forum, to cover all the "Colors of the rainbow"threads?

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.