New Things You've Tried And Love

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

While I was in Texas a few weeks ago my daughter and I went grocery shopping. And since this was on sale I decided to try it. Here in Louisiana when they put the Jello cups on sale it is always just the regular ones...not the "exotic" ones. :) I like jello cups of all kinds but this Lemon Meringue Pie one really gave my taste buds a treat. It tasted so much like real Lemon Meringue Pie to me... that I didn't even share any of the four cups with my daughter...I ate the whole thing myself! ;)

Have any of you tried something new that you really love lately?

jello lemon meringues.jpg

Krissttina Isobe and Mari North like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not very adventurous with food, but so glad I did try Lasagne all those years back :D

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

YES! A few months ago, this gal who has gagged on cottage cheese and yogurt her entire life decided to try WalMart's (Great Value) little cup of cottage cheese with pineapple on the bottom. NOW I can't get enough of it!

I've tried the peach flavor... nope, not nearly the same. And I tried those little mix-y containers with pineapple and cottage cheese... can't remember the name, red foil cover... but no-go. ONLY the Great value little white cups with pineapple on the bottom. I do believe I could eat it every day. Single serve container, 140 calories. Yum!

Go ahead, @Babs Hunt ... tell me I'm weird, I can take it. :p

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

When I went to Walgreens this month I found Wyler's mix and I never heard of them. The box said no aspartame...I picked one up and it was peach and iced tea. I bought one box and loved it! I love buying dry mixes to add to water for I catch the bus and don't want to carry heavy drinks on the bus. I like the no aspartame boxes!

K E Gordon and Babs Hunt like this.
  5. This might sound weird: yogurt.
    Tried it for the first time around a year ago, and love it- especially orange cream.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Come on, "gagging on cottage cheese and yogurt" constitutes, to me anyway, a mental aberration. Like my wife's sister, who "pukes when thinking of green peppers". There are also many more food types which she abhors. Such is the taste of the "upper middle class". Frank

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently tried sweet potato fries. I know many of you have eaten them already, but I was always a late bloomer. The only time I ate sweet potato' was at Thanksgiving. I baked them in the over and they were very good. Even my son (who dislikes anything health) ate them.......in fact, he ate a LOT of them.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

:eek::eek::eek: @Frank Sanoica , did you just insult me!? Ever hear of lactose intolerance? Well, good. I don't have that :rolleyes: but yogurt makes my tummy physically ill, as does dark chocolate... not a matter of "I don't like this" but rather "I'd rather not be in the bathroom puking for half an hour if I eat that." NOW, Sir, you owe me a pound of MILK chocolate and a cup of coffee. The *nerve!* ;)

Babs Hunt and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , what does hating green peppers have to do with the upper middle class?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the foods that I had never heard of before is called a "Haystack", and there was a restaurant in Idaho which servd Haystacks. That is the only place I have seen them, although other restaurants might have a similar thing with a different name.
    Anyway, a Haystack is a pile of shredded lettuce with a cheeseburger patty on top, some tomato slices and maybe a dill pickle spear, and served with your favorite salad dressing over the top.
    I make them every now and then , and even had one for lunch today, which iss what reminded me to write about the Haystack.
    I like mine with either Thousand Island or Ranch dressing, and Bobby likes Bleu Cheese dressing on his. I usually make all of our own dressings, so we always have plenty of each of those, depending on what we want on the Haystack salads.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  11. Mari North

Registered

Haystacks are very popular in the Amish community. They have entire fundraisers with them, and there are many kinds of Haystacks. I like those with the creamy topping... like a mushroom gravy... the ingredients can vary greatly. I like cheese, meat, veggies, etc. I've never had one with salad dressing, though.

12. Only guessing, but maybe he's referring to topic covered in 'behaviors that give us away' in Vance Packard's book.
    But vocabulary is covered, too.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Mari North (gulp). Well, lactose intolerance does not cause gagging, I don't think. (gulp). Ma'am, I simply cannot condone eating of milk chocolate, due to it's high sugar content. Now, 80%+ Cacao chocolate is a different story, with the plusses of antioxidants.

Sometimes my efforts "liven" things up beyond expectation. :oops: Frank

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Page I meant, but failed to say, "Such is the taste of the upper middle class relative."

Guess it didn't make much sense, did it? (wonder if I've managed to weasel out of this one?)

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We are all weird in our own wonderful ways @Mari North so even though I tasted cottage cheese one time and could take it or leave it, if it makes your taste buds feel like that Lemon Meringue Pie jello made mine feel....then hurrah and enjoy! :D