New Signs For Safety

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I walked at the local nature trail this morning, and noticed they've put up new signs to help emergency services locate someone when in trouble. I thought I'd share, so y'all can share with your local authorities if you want, since it appears it would help them locate someone in need of help, rather than just calling and saying you are on the trail in general.

Attached Files:

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Good idea. Kinda like the fire signs we had when I was a farm kid. Our farm was on rural route 4, but each farm on RR4 had a different number, like RR4 No. 26.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG] :oops:Good to know that there are trying to have safety measures everywhere. Locally we have trails too and beaches. Since the weather is not as steady as it usually is there are postings of signs too. Hanauma Bay was closed for the tsunami warning after the over 8 point magnitude earthquake at Chile. Story here : Hanauma Bay story.
    We get all the news about the local happenings on television.

Lara Moss and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That safety sign is unheard of here. I can't recall seeing something to that effect except the markings on the foundation of the bridge that indicates the height of water in meters measurement. Incidentally, I got this note yesterday from our local community leader that says there is a safety seminar on Saturday. It will be on disaster training that will focus on the big earthquake that is expected to occur within 400 years. Isn't that silly? They are awaiting something that may not happen in our lifetime while the floods are always occurring every year, at least once a year. In 2009, there were I think 5 deaths recorded here in our village due to different causes but directly related to the flood. Isn't that good enough reason to be prepare for instead of the earthquake?

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Some days ago I heard in the news about new signs and alarms to be installed a tested, but being honest, I didn't pay attention so couldn't abound on this topic.

Just acknowledging it's true that new safety measures are being implemented.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

What a beautiful pic, @Krissttina Isobe I love the color of the water! I have a beach down the street, but it's not nearly that pretty, although i still love it, and enjoy walking on it. I heard about that tsunami warning, it would freak me out to hear that. It was bad here when Hurricane Rita was heading this way, not long after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. People were saying we were going to get waves 25 feet and higher, which is unheard of around here, but many took those warnings to heart and evacuated.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, based on what I've seen you posting, the government seems to have the wrong priorities. I don't know why that is, but regardless, I hope the people are able to call them on it, and convince them to take a hard look at the realities of what actually happens, versus potential far off disasters. We have drownings here, too, and have similar water depth signs. The governments (local and probably state, as well) and the National Weather Service have been posting signs warning about driving whenever there is water on the road. Here's one type of sign on the subject. We have the flash type of flooding that I think y'all have too, where it seems fine, and then suddenly, it's too dangerous to go out, drive, or go near the water.

Attached Files:

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

On Saturday, September 26, there is a seminar on Disaster Preparedness to be conducted by experts in the field. The invitation was from our local community leader. And to attract people to attend, the invitation has that line - surprise giveaways. The organizers are already expecting a low attendance not because of lack of interest but that's the culture here. It seems to me that the local community leaders have no following or maybe they don't have a good reputation as far as integrity is concerned. One time when I attended a community meeting, there were just a few of us, less than 10 who attended for the more than 100 households in our area.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane, emergency trail numbers is such a great idea. We have mile-marker posts on our Greenways and Trails which I've always assumed was for those monitoring their fitness. But numbers would be much more accurate and quicker to spot. They have talked about small Call Boxes like they have on the campuses.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I always thought the idea of nature trails, or walking paths was to get away from technology and signage, and experience nature as it is in it's undisturbed beauty. Before you know it they will have advertisements on the backs of benches. Mile markers have been around for a longtime and would serve as reference points, as well as distance indicators.
    [​IMG]

11. Diane Lane

Registered

I don't have a cell phone, and would welcome call boxes on the trails. My neighbors and I are a little concerned about the reason for the increased signage. I'm hoping it's simply in order to better locate those in need of services/assistance, but it could be due to attacks. Crime does seem to have increased in the area lately, although it's still better than a lot of other areas. There are also wild animals in the woods and sometimes on the trails, so perhaps there has been an attack. In that case, I'd like to know about any attacks, whether animal or human. We have alligators, bobcats, coyotes, wild hogs, and other creatures in the area.

@Joe Riley I'd love to not need additional signs, but since crime has increased a little, and homeless people have been discovered sleeping/living in the woods, and there are wild animals in the area, I think it's a good idea. The signs are small and unobtrusive, but are visible in case they're needed, to better ascertain the location. There are also marathons and other races held in the area, and perhaps the new markers were added for them.