New Profile Posts

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

New Profile Posts, which you will see to the right of the regular forum stuff, are kind of like forum tweets. Limited to 140 characters, they can be used for brief quotes or thoughts, jokes, or anything else that might not be sufficient to start a new thread but which you just want to get out there without starting a new thread.

I am mentioning these because I noticed that, right now, all five of the ones that appear on the main page are mine and I didn't really intend to dominate it. Some of you have been using these, I know, and that's great, but it occurred to me that there may be members who don't know what they are.

Bess Barber and Micki Pembroke like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Although New Profile Posts only appear on the main page of the forum until they are pushed out by five more New Profile Posts, they remain available through your profile.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How weird; I had no idea that was there. :p I always increase the size of the display so I can read more easily and I had "sized" the right column out of existence. o_O (Plus, I seldom look at the main page; I usually just click New Posts and see those.)

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Profile Posts is a good place to post the occasional one-off line that you think of, whether it be a joke, a slogan, a quote, or whatever. Profile Posts are a much better place for that than starting a new thread for something that is more likely to get likes than replies. Some of you use these very well, but I don't know that everyone thinks of them,

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks @Ken Anderson I wasn't sure what was supposed to go there. This could be fun!!!

6. Ken Anderson

Since we've had a few questions or misunderstandings about New Profile Posts, I thought I'd bump this up again. Think of New Profile Posts as the forum's version of Twitter, or like Twitter used to be when it was limited to 140 characters. It can be a fun thing, but keep in mind that everyone can read New Profile Posts. While only a few of them will appear on the index page of the forum (five, I think), your Profile Posts will remain on your profile page even after they have been rotated off of the forum's index page.

They are best used for quotes, for jokes, or for other brief messages intended for everyone on the forum but, although they do allow for replies, they are not the best place for discussions or requests for help, and they are not private.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022