Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken N Louis, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson ...When I sign on to the Site, I view "New Posts". I am not familiar with xenForo Software.

Is there a way the Admin can place a code (in profile preferences) so that a certain Forum can be blocked from "New Posts". I have no interest in the Games or Political/Religious Forums.

Thanks in advance..

2. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

Seconded - thanks for bringing this up, Ken.

Terry Page and Ken N Louis like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't believe there is a way to do that through Xenforo itself. Whether someone has come up with an add-on that might accomplish that is something I'd have to research. I can't promise that I'll have time to do that today, or even in the next couple of days, but I will look into when I can. My work-week normally begins on Friday but I haven't actually even started it yet, so I've got some catching up to do.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  4. Ken N Louis

Registered

xthanku.gif.pagespeed.ic.fo2P_DR87a.png ..It would be a great help..

5. Ken Anderson

I don't play too many of the games either, so I generally don't use the New Posts feature. Rather, I just look at the forums that I'm interested in and they'll be highlighted if there's a new post. Later, when I have time, I try to at least read everything that is posted here, even in the games, but that's not necessarily the first thing I want to do when I come in.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I never use the new posts feature either. I do exactly the same thing as @Ken Anderson does. I check for the newest posts in each catagory, and then I usually open up that catagory if it has been active and see what other new posts are there.
    I never ever play games, and usually do not get involved in any threads that posts pictures of food or recipes, etc; so that makes it pretty easy for me to find the catagories that I am interested in.
    Plus, I check my news feed for the people that I follow; so I do not miss any of their posts.
    When I find posts that I agree with, I always try and remember to like the posts, as well. It makes me feel good to know that someone liked what I wrote; so I always assume that other people like to have that little "pat on the back", too.

7. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

News feeds? o_O

Oh, Lord, now I have another new thing to learn ...

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

In reference to the opening post of this thread, I cannot find a way to allow an individual member to block certain threads that they may not be interested in, such as the games threads, from showing up in their "New Posts" results. I could set it so that posts in the games section would not appear as "New Posts" but that would be across the board. Games posts would still count toward the number of posts that a forum member has made, and count in every other way, but I do have an option to block posts in certain sub-forums from showing up in "New Posts."

I don't play the games often, and sometimes that's all that I see when I click on "New Posts." I can live with that just fine, but I can see that it might be annoying to others who don't participate in the games part of the forum. But then, those who do wouldn't have them appear in their "New Posts" results either. Sub-forums with new posts would still be highlighted, so it would be easy enough for anyone to know when there has been new posts in these areas, but they wouldn't show up in the "New Posts" results.

9. Ken N Louis

Registered

Thanks for the reply..

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not a big issue with me either Ken as I now largely ignore the new posts area, because it gets overloaded with games posts mixed up with all the other sub forum ones. I can see a case though for excluding the games from the new posts, simply because if you want to play games they are all together in the Games sub forum. I assume many games players would already use this method of keeping up with the posts anyway, I certainly do when I want to play..
    This would at least make the New Posts area a collection of posts from all the other sub forums and of more use for those who never or seldom play games.

11. Ken Anderson

Yes, they'd be easy enough to find, but I don't want to offend those who play the games, which is why I thought I'd put it up for discussion.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I go by new and recent posts, it doesn't bother me if I have to scroll thru a few pages. Sometimes I play the games, sometimes I don't. Depends on my time and mood.

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I have looked everywhere for something that says "News Feed". Nothing. Do you mean "Watched Threads" in the toolbar above?

I always use "Recent Posts" under "New Posts" to find the newest posts. Yes I have to scroll through games, which I rarely ever, to never, play, but I don't mind. It only takes a second. But if I can go directly to "News Feed" of people I watch then that would be nice, although I like to watch everyone except games.

I do miss new posts from members I'm interested in and wish that weren't the case. Those often get pushed to the second page of New Posts by the game players. I rarely think to look at the second page because the first page keeps me busy enough….but I do miss important posts that way.

I just went to the Main Page of the Forums and every single one said "New" except "Single Directory Project"….so that really doesn't weed anything out…as I see it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have gone as far as page 3, it's no big deal.

I enjoy some of the games, just depends on time and mood. I also like all the members that are game players, good sense of humor and sometimes I will look thru the post a story just for the humor and funny pics. :)